Sondern-Adler available for overnight stays

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
JChoate

Post by JChoate »

here's a Sondern photo showing what appears to be a mitered corner. I would think it odd to see some mitered corners like this and then the corner board look on that pre-fab corner all on the same building. I wonder why they mixed & matched.

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

Speaking of mitered corners, I just finished my spring/summer-long Weekend Warrior project of replacing the wood decking and railing siding on the cantilevered deck at my house. Since the previous owner opted to solid stain over all the previously exposed wood, I had the ease of being able to prime the new wood and filling the joints.

My favorite part of the carpentry was mitering the siding at the corner, at the intersection of the canted railing. I used a bead of butyl sealant on the board ends when I brought the corner pieces together. I hope it will serve as a continuous seal that will flex with any movement.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The Sondern photo above is apparently the corner where the spinet piano is located in the dining area, looking past the brick wall toward the unfinished end of the living room. There are not a lot of B&B corners on the exterior of this house.

DRN

Post by DRN »

The Sondern photo above is apparently the corner where the spinet piano is located in the dining area, looking past the brick wall toward the unfinished end of the living room.
That would be correct if this photo wasn't a mirror image. This is the outside corner of the original master bedroom...it corresponds to the far end of the house seen in the earlier photo in which the panels are being unloaded from the Pacific Mutual Door truck...this corner is hidden behind the rearmost part of the truck.

The dining alcove corner exterior is not so close to the trees and is well photographed in HRHitchcock's In the Nature of Materials. I'll scan it for posting tomorrow.

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

here's Peter Beers' photos. I don't know if renovations have taken place since then. There is a lot of nitty gritty stuff in the back-of-house. The white metal kitchen is surprising.

http://www.peterbeers.net/interests/flw ... _house.htm

Tom

Post by Tom »

SDR and JChoate: how are you posting these shots directly into the thread? Is it simply screen shot pasting?

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

Tom,
Wright chat won't "host" your image pixels, so you have to have a separate site host the images, to which it links. SDR has his own website. I've got a son with a computer science degree who referred me to this public site which allows you to post images and generate a link (once you set up an account & figure out how to navigate their system (not easy)). It's:

www.imgur.com

SDR

Post by SDR »

I have an unused website but it's not the host for my images; that is Aabaco, formerly Yahoo, Small Business. It's $10.95/mo, with unlimited capacity and an easy interface. Let me know if you need coaching.

Dan forwards his Sondern image collection, with this text:

It is interesting to note that the early photo [in the first image, from "In the Nature of Materials," 1940, apparently taken just after construction] shows the carport closet as originally built matching the plan in a blueprint image, which does not match Storrer's plan. Pic 5 shows the house just as the site was being cleared for the Adler addition, and captures a board and batten expansion of the carport closet which matches Storrer's 1940 plan....not sure if the closet expansion was by owner or a later Wright revision pre-Adler expansion....also note the living room chimney has been raised from what is shown on the blueprint elevations a'la Rosenbaum.

Image Hirchcock, "In the Nature of Materials"

Image Plan © W A Storrer

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Image 6

Image BP1

Image BP2

Image BP3

Image Original living room

Tom

Post by Tom »

SDR: What source are the blueprints from?
Also, very top shot of the outside corner of the living room has lot of Unity Temple in it.
Not a building I'd associated with Usonians in a direct sense too much but very obvious here.

SDR

Post by SDR »

That group of images was collected from the Internet, by DRN . . .

SDR

Tom

Post by Tom »

More circumstantial evidence that Wright did indeed invent the invisible anti-gravitational device seen employed in this photograph to suspend in mid air electrical conduit prior to roof construction:
http://www.roanokekc.org/images/Sondern ... ern050.jpg
(this is one of those original construction shots in mirror image, it's directly on the diagonal axis with front entry beyond.
Living room is to left and beds are to the right, but that should be flipped. Brick wall in foreground does not seem to appear in original plan.)

Interesting that Wright opted for a different brick in this house.
That doesn't happen very often.

DRN

Post by DRN »

As of 9.19.2018, the Sondern-Adler house is for sale:

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... ociety_115

If I had a winning lottery ticket with a substantial payout, I'd be tempted to either buy the original and (gasp!) remove the Wright designed Adler addition, or just build a replica of the original 1940 Sondern here in NJ or PA. Heh, while I'm dreaming, I'd like to build an unaltered replica of the Euchtman house, and an Erdman model 3, after I'd acquired the David Wright house...of course.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Wright used many different bricks throughout his career; it might be said that he was choosing a new tweed for each custom-made suit he ordered. It would
be too much to claim that no two Usonians had exactly the same red brick -- but you wouldn't be too far off. Just ask an owner who has tried to match the
brick of his house -- though matching old brick with new isn't the same thing as comparing two bricks used in different parts of the country in the same year . . .

SDR

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The Adler additions to the plan make the house look bloated in plan, but the photos of the interior look good.