Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Sondern-Adler available for overnight stays
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JChoate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a Sondern photo showing what appears to be a mitered corner. I would think it odd to see some mitered corners like this and then the corner board look on that pre-fab corner all on the same building. I wonder why they mixed & matched.

JChoate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of mitered corners, I just finished my spring/summer-long Weekend Warrior project of replacing the wood decking and railing siding on the cantilevered deck at my house. Since the previous owner opted to solid stain over all the previously exposed wood, I had the ease of being able to prime the new wood and filling the joints.

My favorite part of the carpentry was mitering the siding at the corner, at the intersection of the canted railing. I used a bead of butyl sealant on the board ends when I brought the corner pieces together. I hope it will serve as a continuous seal that will flex with any movement.

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sondern photo above is apparently the corner where the spinet piano is located in the dining area, looking past the brick wall toward the unfinished end of the living room. There are not a lot of B&B corners on the exterior of this house.
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Sondern photo above is apparently the corner where the spinet piano is located in the dining area, looking past the brick wall toward the unfinished end of the living room.

That would be correct if this photo wasn't a mirror image. This is the outside corner of the original master bedroom...it corresponds to the far end of the house seen in the earlier photo in which the panels are being unloaded from the Pacific Mutual Door truck...this corner is hidden behind the rearmost part of the truck.

The dining alcove corner exterior is not so close to the trees and is well photographed in HRHitchcock's In the Nature of Materials. I'll scan it for posting tomorrow.
JChoate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's Peter Beers' photos. I don't know if renovations have taken place since then. There is a lot of nitty gritty stuff in the back-of-house. The white metal kitchen is surprising.

http://www.peterbeers.net/interests/flw_rt/Missouri/clarence_sondern_house/clarence_sondern_house.htm
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR and JChoate: how are you posting these shots directly into the thread? Is it simply screen shot pasting?
JChoate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
Wright chat won't "host" your image pixels, so you have to have a separate site host the images, to which it links. SDR has his own website. I've got a son with a computer science degree who referred me to this public site which allows you to post images and generate a link (once you set up an account & figure out how to navigate their system (not easy)). It's:

www.imgur.com
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an unused website but it's not the host for my images; that is Aabaco, formerly Yahoo, Small Business. It's $10.95/mo, with unlimited capacity and an easy interface. Let me know if you need coaching.

Dan forwards his Sondern image collection, with this text:

It is interesting to note that the early photo [in the first image, from "In the Nature of Materials," 1940, apparently taken just after construction] shows the carport closet as originally built matching the plan in a blueprint image, which does not match Storrer's plan. Pic 5 shows the house just as the site was being cleared for the Adler addition, and captures a board and batten expansion of the carport closet which matches Storrer's 1940 plan....not sure if the closet expansion was by owner or a later Wright revision pre-Adler expansion....also note the living room chimney has been raised from what is shown on the blueprint elevations a'la Rosenbaum.

Hirchcock, "In the Nature of Materials"

Plan © W A Storrer

BP1

BP2

BP3

Original living room

Tom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR: What source are the blueprints from?
Also, very top shot of the outside corner of the living room has lot of Unity Temple in it.
Not a building I'd associated with Usonians in a direct sense too much but very obvious here.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That group of images was collected from the Internet, by DRN . . .

SDR
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More circumstantial evidence that Wright did indeed invent the invisible anti-gravitational device seen employed in this photograph to suspend in mid air electrical conduit prior to roof construction:
http://www.roanokekc.org/images/SondernConst/Large/Sondern050.jpg
(this is one of those original construction shots in mirror image, it's directly on the diagonal axis with front entry beyond.
Living room is to left and beds are to the right, but that should be flipped. Brick wall in foreground does not seem to appear in original plan.)

Interesting that Wright opted for a different brick in this house.
That doesn't happen very often.
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of 9.19.2018, the Sondern-Adler house is for sale:

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article218350550.html?utm_campaign=Wright%2BSociety&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Wright_Society_115

If I had a winning lottery ticket with a substantial payout, I'd be tempted to either buy the original and (gasp!) remove the Wright designed Adler addition, or just build a replica of the original 1940 Sondern here in NJ or PA. Heh, while I'm dreaming, I'd like to build an unaltered replica of the Euchtman house, and an Erdman model 3, after I'd acquired the David Wright house...of course.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wright used many different bricks throughout his career; it might be said that he was choosing a new tweed for each custom-made suit he ordered. It would
be too much to claim that no two Usonians had exactly the same red brick -- but you wouldn't be too far off. Just ask an owner who has tried to match the
brick of his house -- though matching old brick with new isn't the same thing as comparing two bricks used in different parts of the country in the same year . . .

SDR
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inside Frank Lloyd Wright’s home that is for sale - [2:19]

David
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Adler additions to the plan make the house look bloated in plan, but the photos of the interior look good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: