Visions of Wright

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tom

Visions of Wright

Post by Tom »

https://visionsofwright.wordpress.com/2 ... beginning/

Ran across the above website yesterday. It's pretty good. You can click on images for two levels of enlargement. At the bottom of each entry are cross reference links to related projects. ... also has the ability for comments and threads.

Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

That's actually my site.

Took me a while to scan all of Taschen.

jmcnally

Post by jmcnally »

Is there a way to access an index or site map?

The drawings are reproduced very well - nice and vibrant

Tom

Post by Tom »

Macrodex: very useful site. Much appreciated.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Is there a search function ? I'm not sure how to get to what I want . . . the Rogers Lacy hotel for instance.

Sorry to be dense.

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

One of the first projects of interest posted on the site is the Carnegie Library Project that FLW worked on "in collaboration with Sullivan." Its similarities to Walter Burley Griffin's Stinson Library make it obvious that they were somehow connected, which makes me wonder if the 1913 date attached to both of them can be correct. H. Allen Brooks gives 1913 as the Stinson date, and knowing Brooks' attention to detail, I'm sure that's correct. Where did you find the 1913 date for the Wright/Sullivan drawing?

SDR

Post by SDR »

BBF gives it in Taschen I; Taliesin number 1306 (p 435). For the uninitiated, that's Francis W Sullivan, not Louis Sullivan . . . !

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

When was Griffin last employed by FLW? He left for Australia in 1914. Somehow the Wright/Sullivan project for Canada must have been known to Griffin, whose library is in Illinois. They are too much alike (in general layout, not in detailing) not to have been connected somehow.

Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

SDR: Added a search function. Click the box on the upper-right of the visions of wright banner; top-down menu should come up.

Search to your heart's content.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Macrodex. Even if you didn't include the entire contents of the Taschen volumes, it's a wonderful resource ! Getting up close to these drawings is tantamount to a lifetime's education, for a drafter or a student of Wright's work. Being both, I feel doubly blest.

SDR

Macrodex

Post by Macrodex »

I only wanted to do unbuilt stuff of Wright since it tends to be the hardest material to find.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Excellent idea. We have a book on "lost Wright," "Masterpieces of Taliesin" has a sparse selection of unbuilt work, and there's a volume (or two ?) of the Monographs devoted to drawings -- but not a comprehensive collection of the projects, until now. Well done.

SDR

Tom

Post by Tom »

Presto shazaam: search function. Magic
I don't have any of the Taschen Volumes.
This is a treat for me.
Interesting to see Wright return to Hollyhock in 1958!
...and a pretty cool project too.