Lloyd Wright in La Cañada

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Lloyd Wright in La Cañada

Post by SDR »

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1210 ... 2751_zpid/

The house is dated 1946 in Weintraub, 1948 at Zillow---and 1956 in an online Robb Report story by Abby Montanez, based on a Sotheby's listing where it is dated 1958 ! I have written to Sharon Verani/Mark Ogden at Sotheby's.

S
Reidy

Re: Lloyd Wright in La Cañada

Post by Reidy »

SDR

Post by SDR »

That's the item I found on my phone this morning. The flooring is an unfortunate choice. Otherwise the house seems in good shape, though there's no way of knowing what details might be missing or altered.

S
Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Gainsburg House (1948):
La Canada Flintridge (Prime area) - Lot .68-acre (29,621 sf) - House 3,172 sf ($938.00/sf) 4/4: $2,975,000.

Bollman House (1922):
Hollywood (Not so prime) - Lot .19-acre (8,276 sf) - House 2,518 sf, ($1,270/sf) 4/2: $3,198,000.

Evidence that pricing in California has little to do with logic.
josquin

Post by josquin »

I had the opportunity to see this house, and meet the previous owner, when it was opened for a native garden tour. The house had been recently renovated by Corsini Starck architects. You can see some photos of the renovated house on their website http://corsinistark.com/portfolio/gainsburg-house The current owners have changed the color scheme and have removed a once spectacular Southern California native garden.
SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks so much, Josquin. It gladdens my heart to see the more appropriate (and likely closer to original ?) colors and finishes in those photos. Thanks be that they were recorded for future consideration. The Home-Depot remaindered flooring in the house now is truly dispiriting.

S
Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

From what I have seen over the years of visiting Jr.'s houses, he was as unlikely as Sr. to slather white paint on his work. A new floor and a proper paint job would be called for.
josquin

Post by josquin »

The Gainsburg house is up for sale again. Here is the link: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1210 ... 2751_zpid/
The interior appears to be little altered from the previous sale, but the landscaping has been altered dramatically and not to the properties advantage.
SDR

Post by SDR »

An extensive and much more pleasant look at the house can be had via the link provided last August by josquin:

http://corsinistark.com/portfolio/gainsburg-house/

It must be so disheartening for the architects and their client to observe their careful work dismissed and obliterated by subsequent owners. The Corsini Starck version of the house is presumably much closer to what the original architect intended, and can still be enjoyed on their site---in two dimensions.

S
DavidC

Post by DavidC »