Arc de Triomphe

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tom

Arc de Triomphe

Post by Tom »

Chris Schroeer-Hermann / photographer
He's got a couple of these over on Flickr.
Makes me feel as though I understand this project for the first time. I doubt the daytime presence is close.

DRN

Re: Arc de Triomphe

Post by DRN »

I was surprised at how underwhelmed I was by the photos of the Arc with the Christo treatment. The daytime photos almost perfectly match the renderings Christo made almost 60 years ago. The nighttime photo is more dramatic due to the lighting, but it still is not doing it for me.

Some of Christo's other efforts (or are they events?) are more interesting as photographs and then seem to better capture my attention...I'm thinking of the "Running Fence" or "Umbrellas" in California, the "Gates" in Central Park, or the "Walking on Water" gold piers in a European lake to an island.

Probably the key to Christo's work is that the constructions are "events" and they are meant to be haptically experienced in person rather than just seen in photos. One is to actually travel to see, feel, hear, and touch the resulting alteration of a well known place or object and have that tactile experience and memory of it to carry with them.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes. One is reminded that the same is true, more or less, of any work of art or architecture; drawings suffer far less in transcription, as they are already "reality reduced to two dimensions." But it is always useful to have reports from the ground, as it were, of specific instances such as this work of Christo and company.

The posthumous realization of a Christo piece is not unlike the remote execution of a Sol LeWitt wall drawing, made by others according to the artist's written "recipe" or instructions ?

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Chris says he understands it better in daylight.
I'll only ever see it in photographs.
The night shots changed my indifferent view of it.
I think it's powerful and foreboding now, day or night.

I had no idea this is a sixty-year-old project.
That's kinda amazing to me.
I was three.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I wonder if the artist(s) would have been disappointed, or pleased, by the slight irregularity of the wrapping---horizontal drawstrings not quite horizontal. That doesn't displease my eye . . .

S