Video of FLW Buildings

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Deke

Video of FLW Buildings

Post by Deke »

I'm working on a video archive of footage of FLW buildings and am seeking footage. The idea is to have a video version of the Storer Companion Book. Does anyone know if such a video archive already exists? I seem to recall the FLW Conservancy working on something like this.

d

guestnow

Post by guestnow »

I assume you are in collaboration with Dr. Storrer, or have his permission, to do a video version of his book(s)?

Deke

Post by Deke »

No, I'm not collaborating with Storer, I was just using his book as an example. What he did in print (and on a great CD ROM with stills and some video), I'd like to do on a DVD with more video. Anyone interested in contributing footage to his effort, can contact me, but judging from the lack of reponse to this thread, there doesn't seem to be much interest in creating this kind of video archive.

hypnoraygun

Post by hypnoraygun »

I think it is a great idea! But isn't there all kinds of legal issues involved? I can contribute footage I have, and could get better footage. But a lot of the places around me won't allow internal footage, or they are not open to the public.. So what would it take to get something like this going? It would be a huge project!

I do some filming of my own. I have a Canon GL2 camera and edit with Adobe Prem. Pro 2.0.

Let me know! Sounds great, but a LOT of work.

Craig.

Deke

Post by Deke »

No question, it's an ambitious idea. A big budget project...like the Ken Burns doc of a few years ago...would bring in a professional crew and go through all the permissions and clearances to shoot inside and outside each building. I'm suggesting something more grass roots. Those sites that are publicly owned...like Hollyhock House...could be filmed rather easily. Private homes could be photographed only from a public sidewalk, or with permission (and release form) from the owner. Those buildings not visible from public land (many homes, Fallingwater, etc) would require written permission. The buildings themselves, of course, are not protected by copyright. In short...this would be an archive of 'home movies' but it's better than nothing.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Your proposed film sounds a lot like a film/DVD made a few years ago featuring the houses of Bruce Goff. It was made by a German film maker named Heinz Emigholz. Check out his site:

http://www.bruce-goff-film.com (click on the English version)

I understand Mr. Emigholz has made several films, including one about Louis Sullivan. You may want to contact him to ask questions about the logistics of a project such as the one you are considering.

Deke

Post by Deke »

Hi,

Someone out there sent me a private email about this idea, but I have unfortunately lost it in cyberspace. so if you could kindly resend I'd be happy to reply.

Deke