FLW's Banff Pavilion to be rebuilt

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
peterm

Post by peterm »

"The final portions of the terms of reference required by the Town of Banff are being completed at this time, and will be submitted soon. Following approval, the construction on the building will hopefully begin in the Spring of 2020, delayed one year from our initial estimate."

Sounds like things are moving along nicely. Congratulations, Mr. Miner!

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

DRN wrote:So, does this mean the owners of Wright buildings that have issues that are beyond their means or abilities to correct themselves now have somone to turn to who will find them qualified professional guidance and financial assistance? This could be an enormous undertaking.
Hosanna! A patron?
Dan, I'd love to believe that the scenario as you describe it might actually be true - a patron with altruistic intentions and no hidden agendas. Of course, I also believed in Santa Claus until Mr Trump ruined that for me last Christmas ... :D
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

DRN

Post by DRN »

Possibly my post was too subtle.
My second sentence should be read in an ominous tone.....speaking from my own experience, I note that even a relatively stable, move-in ready house with a lot of deferred maintenance can swallow $245K without so much as a belch. My question mark at the end of the post was quietly expressing incredulity.

Very well endowed foundations with large and strong fundraising networks would have difficulty making this sort of proposal. I wish them well.

DavidC

Re: FLW's Banff Pavilion to be rebuilt

Post by DavidC »

DRN

Post by DRN »

For all the effort expended on developing software to model individual stones seen in hundred year old photos, as if individual fieldstones are to be replicated, you’d think the team might consider producing actual engineering, both civil and structural, if this building is to be safely and responsibly constructed.

A building which is to be used by the public and maintained in perpetuity with public funds cannot be constructed with lush renderings and endless study of period photos. The original building failed as a result of serious site issues. If this building is to be rebuilt those issues must be understood and actual engineering done to address them. Just spitballing elevated grades or hydraulic lifts doesn’t solve the problem at hand. How high in meters must the building be raised; what is the composition of the proposed raised fill; how is the potential for washout addressed; if retaining walls are needed, what is their structural design and appearance? If a system of hydraulic lifts is used, how many pumps are needed and what are their horsepower; how does lifting change the floor’s structural design from the original; once the building is lifted, how are the lateral or wind uplift loads of an elevated structure addressed in a historic building designed to remain static; how is a wetland site to be protected from hydraulic fluid leaks; how is this system to be maintained and at what cost; is it even practical to lift a 200’ + long wood framed building?

I see the Banff local officials’ actions and requests for further preparatory work by the Revival Initiative as prudent.

outside in

Post by outside in »

I believe that Mr. Miner may have chosen the wrong building to resurrect. It appears that the building may have been removed for good reason.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that, after serious persons have done the preliminary evaluations that need to be done, the conclusion will be that it is not feasible to reproduce the building, and nothing will come of it.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Is this meant to be reassuring? From Mr. Miner’s website:

“Terms Not Satisfied
• Existing and finished grades
• Grades relative to 20, 50, 100-year flood lines
• Planting schedule
• Preliminary environmental assessment requirements
No work will be performed by the Revival Initiative which includes placing the Pavilion on grades above the 20, 50, or 100-year flood lines, since we will only participate in a building built at ground level, as was indicated in Mr. Wright’s original plans, and as originally built in 1914. The issue of the building sitting in water for approximately 30 days every 25 years, which is what led to the first building’s decay and ultimate demolition, has been addressed and solved with the aforementioned wood treatment system provided by Accsys Technologies, which will make the foundation wood impermeable to water.

A planting schedule will not be needed because Mr. Wright included no instructions for foliage in his original design. If my understanding is correct, what is required from the preliminary environmental assessment is so ludicrous it will not be considered.”

(Btw- I searched the website to find contact info, but came up empty handed. I did find at the bottom of each page a prominent “DONATE” button.)

DRN

Post by DRN »

Wood treatment system? I suppose the building stewards will just hose the mud and raw sewage out and squeegee off the affected surfaces?
What happens to the structure if a multi-ton Douglas fir tree (or two or three) caught in the torrent collides with the building?
What if the water hangs around a while and mold growth begins where one can't readily abate it?
What happens to the plumbing, mechanical, and electrical/data systems after each inundation?
Valleys amid mountain ranges are flash flood prone, will there be time to secure, raise, or move out furniture, fixtures, equipment, files, and printed materials before each event?

This is not well considered enough to take seriously.

peterm

Post by peterm »

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

If they were as good at solving problems as making excuses, the pavilion would already be standing. As it is, the grift has already moved on to another mark ...
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

SDR

Post by SDR »

I think DRN 's list of the difficulties associated with this proposal make it clear why the pavilion isn't "already standing"---and why Wright's design---or anyone else's, on this site, is unlikely to be realized. Post and publish the images, and kiss it goodbye. Surely there are other more likely Wright rescues and recreations to be considered and proposed . . . by this group, or by others ?

S