Ina Morris Harper house

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Laurie Virr

Ina Morris Harper house

Post by Laurie Virr »

Ina Morris and R. Bradford Harper lived in the house designed for them by Frank Lloyd Wright at St. Joseph, Michigan for only 2 years. Why was this so?

peterm

Post by peterm »

Numerous photos here:

http://www.peterbeers.net/interests/flw ... _house.htm

This house intrigues me. The use of mirrors is unusual for Wright. Maybe the site only allowed for views to the lake...

Good question, Laurie...

Tom

Post by Tom »

The intersection of the gable roof with the shed roof ... had Wright ever done that before ... or after? And again he most definitely would have had to employ those anti gravitational devices among the structural framing.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I believe that the structure here would be relatively straightforward; picture in the mind a simple beam at each of the peaks and valleys of that ceiling, and the means of support becomes clear -- as I see it.

The gas fireplace might be a solution for any Wright hearth in which the draft is problematic ?

SDR

Tom

Post by Tom »

Oh yeah, I see what you're saying. There is a beam at that ridge line which is supported by the mullions of the tall glass. Clever.

Laurie Virr

Post by Laurie Virr »

Clever? Is it not just a simple structural procedure?

Can somebody please answer the original query?

peterm

Post by peterm »

Laurie, I have tried in vain to find any information in regards to the history of the Harper residence. Maybe someone in Michigan would know?

Laurie Virr

Post by Laurie Virr »

Thank you peterm.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

The owner of the house used to post on here, but not for quite a
while.
KevinW

peterm

Post by peterm »

Kevin- Wouldn't the return of private messaging be wonderful? If you remember the user name, maybe an email address could be found, so Laurie could contact the current owner directly?

classic form

Post by classic form »

Why does anyone sell a house and move? Loss of a job, relocation because of a job, or an illness/death. I'm not sure how to check if it had anything to do with a job but there has to be a way to check the obits from around the time the house sold...

OK, I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons to sell a house/move but we aren't talking about just any run of the mill house...the reasons I listed above were the only reasons I could think of for moving out of that house.

SDR

Post by SDR »

After only five years in their new "bungalow" -- built in the face of many obstacles and often with their own hands -- the Jacobs family had set their sights on owning a farm and were ready to leave their little labor of love and move on.

Shortly after Don Stromquist finished his Wright-designed house in Utah, his employer relocated him to Pittsburgh. He sold the house. Two years later, after returning to Utah, he attempted to buy back the residence but was unsuccessful.

SDR

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Wright chat poster "gdf" is the owner of Harper house.
KevinW

peterm

Post by peterm »

Unfortunately, "gdf" shares no email address in the memberlist...

gdf

Harper House

Post by gdf »

Hi Everyone! Geez, a girl takes a little break and all of a sudden she's a "no show"! We've been travelling and having fun. Now we're back safe and sound, I checked the board and Harper popped up. Hi Laurie, I'll tell you the little I know. We're about the 5th owners so history does get lost along the way (along with some of my memory). I believe Ina Morris Harper was the Dr in the family - a pediatrician - although it has been widely reported that Mr Harper was the Dr in the family. She was killed not long after they moved into the house by a truck that plowed through a plate glass window in a diner where she was eating. If anyone knows differently I would love to hear. Through the years this is the story we've heard. We've been here 15 years and still love every moment - well, most... we're getting ready to replace the roof AGAIN - 1st one was some hotsy totsy newest and greatest organic shingle that unfortunately failed after 13 years (supposed to be 30 year but we all know how that goes!) Then we have to paint again. Now, before you all start yelling at me about the tidewater cypress that was painted outside, we did NOT do it the first time!! When we moved in it was painted some fleshy pink color by the owners before us. We recvd. quotes to strip and sand - the cheapest was "it's gonna be a fortune" so we picked Craftsman Brown and did our best.
Has anyone heard from Peter Beers? He was such a great guy. After his pictures were posted I did remove most of the family photos around the built-in sectional - didn't realize how busy it looked until then. See? I do listen to the opinions on this message board!
peterm - you moved to Chicago! You're so close to us - come visit! St Joseph is a charming, lovely town on the shores of Lake Michigan 90 miles from Chicago or 60 miles by boat. I'll bet we would have lots of stories to share and maybe some helpful hints both ways!
Hope everyone is having a nice summer!