The roof over Kentuck Knob

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

I find this note among the contents of the Berridge matter linked above by Paul R:

Tom

Post by Tom »

9.3 x 10-6 (50ft x 12in/ft) (85-30) = 0.307 in

Looks like hard drawn copper of 50ft length will expand a little more than 1/4" during a change in season.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I wonder if a metal roof today might be constructed as a "rain screen," as is done routinely with exterior wall construction. That is, the outermost surface is intended to take the brunt of the weather but is not itself made water-tight. Might the copper Bermuda roof be laid, with loose folded-metal joints, over a membrane roof ? Or would this invite trapped water, assuming the metal is laid directly on the membrane-covered sheathing, to support the occasional human foot ? If the metal were laid so water could drain beneath it, then the metal would presumably be too fragile to support weight . . .

I don't see how soldering could be done well in one part of the world, and (with the same materials) not in another. Perhaps the metalworkers Laurie encountered didn't have their copper sweat-soldering techniques perfected ?

SDR

Laurie Virr

Post by Laurie Virr »

Stephen’s speculation with regard to the skill of the local tradesmen may well be correct.

Despite what I have observed at the John and Syd Dobkins house, I share Tom’s reservations with regard to the practice of filling the joints fashioned to allow for expansion with more metal in the form of solder. Solder, by definition, has a lower melting point than the material being connected, almost ensuring it would fail first.

Lead free solders are now available, but to my admittedly imperfect knowledge, were not available in the early to mid-1950’s.

The roof of Kentuck Knob, as depicted in the images published, looks absolutely immaculate. How was it done?

SDR

Post by SDR »

True. I see one seam, and some drip lines (?) in the photo. What material is it that the Berridge roof is made of ? They permit up to 30' without seams ?

Aren't copper hot-water supply pipes routinely sweat-soldered ? I watched plumber Rich Trethewey doing the job (yet again) on "This Old House" the other day. The flame is applied at one end of a coupling and the solder applied at the other. He says the solder is drawn to the hotter part of the joint, thus filling the seam . . .

Perhaps Laurie will have to tour his part of the country until he spots a properly made Bermuda roof -- and track down the craftsman responsible ? I wonder what research short-cut would make that a less time-consuming task.

Would a very wide overlap, with a fine up-turn or return on the buried end and no solder, allow for expansion and still shed water ? Musn't the clips also reliably allow for some horizontal movement ?

SDR

Laurie Virr

Post by Laurie Virr »

The cross section thru a typical pan for a Bermuda roof is analogous to a lazy Z, with crushed folds top and bottom. On stepping down the roof, the lower leg of the upper pan overlaps the upper leg of the lower

When connected to an adjacent pan in the same plane, both the horizontal and vertical elements of the joint have to be formed. There is little evidence of the former in the published images, and none of the latter. To my knowledge the roof has always remained weathertight.

Would access to the working drawings and specifications furnish the answer, or was the final result entirely dependent on the skill and experience of the artisan?

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Bermuda Roofs apparently are now called: Horizontal Seam Roofing

Description: Horizontal seam roofs consist of copper pans, whose long dimension runs horizontally across a roof, attached to horizontal wood nailers. At each nailer a step is used to allow adjacent pans to lock effectively. The height and spacing of the steps may be varied or additional steps may be included between locks to achieve different appearances.

The copper pans may be supported by rigid insulation, inserted between nailers, or by wood sheathing applied over the nailers.

from the Copper Development Association:

FLAT SEAM ROOFING RECOMMENDATIONS:

SLOPES GREATER THAN 6:12 – DRY SEAMS WITHOUT SEALANT OR SOLDER.

SLOPES GREATER THAN 3:12 UP TO 6:12 – SEALANT OR BUTYL TAPES CONCEALED IN SEAMS.

FLAT AND SLOPES UP TO 3:12 – FULLY SOLDER SEAMS.

http://www.copper.org/applications/arch ... ofing.html

Some good sectional drawings here:
http://www.copper.org/applications/arch ... ofing.html

therman7g

Roof

Post by therman7g »

SDR

Post by SDR »

The Dragon's eyes glimmer, through screen of wood under copper brow, its head and foot of stone . . .

Tom

Post by Tom »

Great photograph, incredible roof, cool poem.
PaulR: thanks for the links.

SDR

Post by SDR »

dtc forwards the following article.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

You could certainly tell that this was an industry publication by the detail provided when they described the installation of the new roof.

If I remember correctly the fully soldered flat panels copper sheets on the shed roofs were also the way the Dobkins House was done.

dtc

Post by dtc »

Originally Wright designed this Bermuda-style roof to transition to a built up coal tar roof for the flat areas. They made a change when they finally applied the copper that should eliminate future problems in such a critical area.

There is information in this article that many will find interesting.

Dobkins had the same transition, and it was at that critical location that they experienced water penetration early on. When I addressed the entry and carport roofs we needed to tear out all wood for it was completely rotted. Luckily there were 2 steel I-beams, installed originally, supporting the carport cantilever roof.

Wrightgeek

Post by Wrightgeek »

While I'm not sure that it has the Bermuda-style roof being discussed in this thread, the Unitarian Meeting House in Wisconsin also has a copper roof, which was completely replaced not too many years ago.

dtc

Post by dtc »

The Unitarian Meeting House does have a Bermuda-style copper roof.
Yes you are correct in that it was replaced not to many years ago.

If I'm not mistaken the Hagan (Kentuck Knob) roof was replaced as well. When Lord Palumbo the second owner had the home restored, a fire broke out in the carport area and much of the ceiling along with the roof was replaced.