Restoring a Cherokee red concrete floor !

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
peterm

Post by peterm »

Recent photos of dining room:

ImageImage

ursousa

Scraping for days

Post by ursousa »

Well as expected we have been scraping for days on end. Mostly by hand on hands and knees. Something that did help was to use plenty of water poured onto the floor and then a black pad on the buffer took most of the white and black mastics off . The buffer we have is kind of all over the place and hard to control so it is a little frustrating to use. But what we have managed to do is take off a very thin layer of concrete to reveal a cleaner much more even colored red. We still have a ton of work to do but can at least see results . Thank the Gods that the dining room floor is in much better shape and just really needs a stripping of the old wax and rebuffing to look great.
This is a messy time consuming back breaking job, so I suggest anyone tackling the same . think about hire a professional.

ursousa

Not quite the results we had hoped for

Post by ursousa »

Captain's Log , progress update:
After alot of manual labor and backbreaking intensive work at buffing and scraping , reaching some sort of workable surface, the Trewax in Mahagony color arrived.....heart aflutter to try it ...went ahead and did a 1 foot square area......bad result.....beautiful deep red color...acceptable..but no shine and uneven look to it ....afraid our floor is a bit rougher than thought so onto the second plan of operation and it looks as though we may need some type of gloss sealer first as much as I did not want to put down any top coat ....
There are still areas of old white mastic which we are having a devil of a time getting removed..... and the wax as dark as it is did not obliterate it . :cry:
At this point I am ready to paint it.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Put on an old pair of socks and dance and skate across the floor. I bet the shine will come.

At least it worked for my wife and me...

ursousa

Skating in socks

Post by ursousa »

I really had a great visual and got a good laugh from that.
I am afraid that after further investigation I have realised that this floor at some point in the past , had been buffed hard so that the smooth texture has given way to a very rough sort of finish...and no amount of wax application is going to help it just sinks in . We discussed today the fact that we may need professional help in the living room. Thank God the dining room is smooth as it always was and a cleaning and rewaxing should bring it up nicely ...but I doubt we will be skating across it , rental of a buffer is the way we are going to go with that.

egads

Post by egads »

Has anyone suggested bean-e-do? It's a soy based mastic remover. I'm sorry I haven't mentioned it before. Spread it out, wait an hour at least, then squeegee the mess into a puddle. Apply kitty litter or garage floor absorbent, scrape that up and then mop several times with a de-greaser & rinse. I do know that when stripping and re-waxing my vinyl tile floors, the use of a sealer first really brings out the shine.

You may want to check out this thread:

http://www.savewright.org/wright_chat/v ... php?t=3937

WiscoUsonian has a blog, and had his floors redone. So do click the link to his blog at the bottom of his postings.

ursousa

Thanks for the reccomendation egads

Post by ursousa »

I will have to look for that product. And thanks for the blog link it looks exactly like what we are going thru....I hope we can get some kind of results close to what they did . I am so over this about this point .
And even though it isn't advised I am ready to roll on some paint....but I won't! We are making calls today about a finish called micro surface which puts the shine back with a hard coating ...it can be colored to heighten the red and make it more vibrant..we shall see. The floor needs some kind of sealer now as it is rough from all the water buffing we did.

WiscoUsonIan

Post by WiscoUsonIan »

Ursousa,
Thanks for the look at what we went through... I'd try and salvage what you have because it's going to be the toughest and best option. Keep us posted!

ursousa

Thanks Wisco

Post by ursousa »

We have a few people coming in on Saturday to give us estimates on microtopping the living room floor looks like the best option for us....

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

I finally purchased some mahogany tinted paste wax to try on the Beharka house floors. The floors although in good shape, have not had much done to them in many years. I have started in the kitchen where the floors are the most worn and have hard water stains near the sink.
I am trying BRIWAX mahogany since an antiques mall had plenty of it if the result was good. So far I did a 4X4 section, and it evened out the color nicely, being a thin paste wax, it spreads easily, dries quickly, and buffs to a beautiful satin glow. Negatives....none other than the strong odor, which, seems to go away pretty quickly. So far, so good. I anticipate my wife and I will try the Peter M method of buffing..dancing across the floor in old socks!
KevinW

egads

Post by egads »

Just remember, when cleaning, use a neutral floor cleaner. Detergents will eat through the wax.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Thanks.
KevinW

peterm

Post by peterm »

Some ideal shining, buffing music: "Cherokee (red???) Waltz"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V_bDCon ... ata_player

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

"Cherokee Waltz" seems half waltz, half polka. About as annoying a tune as I've ever heard. How about Emile Waldteufel's "Skaters' Waltz"?

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Since Bob's house is based on a 4 foot square module, I am having trouble with those suggestions that are in 3/4 time....Now if the house was based on an equalateral triangle..so..any 4/4 time signature recommendations?
KevinW