Restoring a Cherokee red concrete floor !

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

"Stars And Stripes Forever" in honor of July 4.

DRN

Post by DRN »

KevinW: A lot of Disco tunes use 4/4 time..... he said sheepishly anticipating the barrage of rotten tomatoes. Many Jazz tunes use 4/4 time too...your house is better suited to a Fox Trot than the Hustle anyway.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

SDR! Don't dis the hustle!

I realized as soon as I logged off that marches are not in 4/4 time, but 2/4 time, appropriate for Jacobs I. Of the six kids in my family, I was the only one who refused to join the high school band. (Can't stand Sousa.)

However, a waltz would still do, since the 4'x4' major grid is subdivided into nine 16" squares: 3x3 in 4'x4'.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Or I could just waltz slowly in 12/8 time...anyway....have you seen my kitchen, pretty tiny, just about enough room for two if we just put on a ballad and sway back and forth.
KevinW

peterm

Post by peterm »

I guess no "Take 5" in a Wright house... But maybe that's what they dance to at The Pentagon?

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

exactly.
KevinW

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Peter...I'm so glad you turned me onto the mahogany paste wax...the floors are really looking great. Thanks!
KevinW

peterm

Post by peterm »

You're quite welcome! In fact, it is high time that we redo ours. It's just too damned hot to dance...

frodo

Restoring a Cherokee red concrete floor !

Post by frodo »

Hello, kevin,
I finally purchased some mahogany tinted paste wax to try on the Beharka house floors. The floors although in good shape, have not had much done to them in many years. I have started in the kitchen where the floors are the most worn and have hard water stains near the sink.
I am trying BRIWAX mahogany since an antique mall had plenty of it if the result was good. So far I did a 4X4 section, and it evened out the color nicely, being a thin paste wax, it spreads easily, dries quickly, and buffs to a beautiful satin glow. Negatives....none other than the strong odor, which, seems to go away pretty quickly. So far, so good. I anticipate my wife and I will try the Peter M method of buffing..dancing across the floor in old socks!
Thanks for sharing floor detail & which company good quality and good shape sells floor please share company details.

ZacharyMatthews

Post by ZacharyMatthews »

The learning curve on the self polishing is very fast. if possible start where it shows the least, a hallway, closet interior, removable cabinets? I had black mastic applied parquet flooring in my common areas and I did my own work with 4 sets of progressively finer honing stones and edgers. For finish work, I left it raw with no sealer or color additive. I can always add that later. BIG fans in your doorways to exterior is a must. also PPE on a job like this is a must.

Paul Ringstrom

Re: Restoring a Cherokee red concrete floor !

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond