Olgivanna Lazovich Lloyd Wright: Opinions & Perspective

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
peterm

Post by peterm »

Interesting, Roderick-

I just stumbled upon this in the context of son John Lloyd Wright and his "Lincoln Logs":

"But it turns out John Lloyd followed his father’s example in another way besides their career path. John Lloyd wasn’t born John Lloyd — his birth name was John Kenneth Wright. Obviously, being known as John Lloyd Wright had advantages for an architect seeking commissions."

From Princeton online:

http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/l ... right.html
Last edited by peterm on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

That I have never heard. Didn't do him much good, did it?

Palli Davis Holubar

Post by Palli Davis Holubar »

Thanks Roderick, didn't know the tradition. My Quaker grandmother and her second generation Welsh husband in Iowa were fully assimilated into the maiden name custom.

RonMcCrea

Post by RonMcCrea »

Lloyd Wright's name was Frank Lloyd Wright Jr., wasn't it? He did all right for himself.

archfan

Post by archfan »

Palli, I refuse to read any more of your posts on this thread. Every time you mention someone, I spend time searching the internet and reading about some fascinating person I haven't encountered before. It's seriously eating into my solitaire time...

Palli Davis Holubar

Post by Palli Davis Holubar »

Archfan- this thread has been a great excuse to reread sources and follow leads into connections I hadn't recognized before. Glad you enjoyed the interconnections too. Renewed my pride of place also...

peterm

Post by peterm »

The full names of the Wright children from the first marriage, three with middle name Lloyd and three without:

Frank Lloyd Wright Jr aka Lloyd Wright: Born 3/31/1890 in Oak Park, Illinois. Architect in Los Angeles, California. Died 5/31/1978 in Santa Monica, California. Married once.

John Lloyd Wright: Born 12/12/1892 in Oak Park, Illinois. Inventor of Lincoln Logs. He died on 12/20/1972 in Del Mar, San Diego, California. Married three times.

Catherine Dorothy Wright: Born 1/12/1894 in Oak Park, Illinois. Died 1/27/1979. Married once. One of her children was actress Anne Baxter.

David Samuel Wright: Born 9/26/1895 in Oak Park, Illinois. A businessman. Died 11/1/1997. Married three times.

Frances Lloyd Wright: Born 9/3/1898 in Oak Park, Illinois. Died 2/11/1959. Married twice.

Robert Llewellyn Wright: Born 11/5/1903 in Oak Park, Illinois. Lawyer. Died 2/22/1986. Married once.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Courtesy of Palli, the Wright/Lazovich wedding announcement:

brenda

Olgivanna Wright's Writing

Post by brenda »

Anyone know much about Mrs. Wright's writing? Care to share and comment on it?

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Bringing back the Olgivanna Lazovich thread post-crash.

David

MOman2

Re: Olgivanna Lazovich Lloyd Wright: Opinions & Perspective

Post by MOman2 »

Reading The Life Of Olgivanna Lloyd Wright
Did she not muck of Taliesin in WI by adding a pool to the grounds in which the FLW association removed not long after her death?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

yes

MOman2

Post by MOman2 »

I got somewhat of a feeling that her (Olgivanna's) death was somewhat of a relief to the foundation and others

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Most of those who were relieved had left long before Olga died. She was polarizing. Some apprentices practically worshipped her, and they were likeliest to have stayed after FLW died. Others were less enthusiastic, and left just days after the funeral (Curtis Besinger, Mark Heyman). John de Koven Hill was the FLW loyalist who stayed, and got rid of the pool shortly after Olga's death. He also saw to it that the living/dining room stone wall that Olga wanted plastered and painted gold was constructed so that it could be completely restored when called for.