John Randal McDonald home on the Market

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tina Swain

John Randal McDonald home on the Market

Post by Tina Swain »

I have just listed a home designed by John Randal McDonald. It has 110 ft of Beaver Dam Lake frontage (at over 6,500 acres, Beaver Dam Lake is the 15th largest in WI).

I have many pictures of the interior for those that would like to see more. It is very typical of his work......spectacular!!! The sellers have appreciated the gem they have owned and therefore took loving care of it.

If you go to my office website http://www.wisreal.com and enter in MLS number 1490123 you will find the details. The price is $420,000 and I feel it is worth every penny to be able to live in such a piece of art.

Feel free to call me on my cell 920-319-0174 or contact me at tina@wisreal.com.

Tina Swain
Wisconsin Real Estate Brokerage, Inc
1708 N Spring Street
Beaver Dam, WI 53916

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

I've been in about eight of JRM's houses and was fortunate to have met him several years before he died in 2004. He was quite flamboyant and a self-promoter, in the Wrightian vain (all puns intended). He had a nice touch in his homes. We'd love to see those photos you refer to posted on this chat board or your website.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I second that. I'll start with what I find on the linked site. . .

Thanks ! SDR

outside in

Post by outside in »

I think the real estate agent shares some of MacDonald's personal characteristics - I love the quote "surpasses anything done by Frank Lloyd Wright"!!! JRM was a very talented architect, no doubt, but his constant attempts at one-upmanship with Wright seemed unnecessary and a little bit annoying.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I'll second that, too.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Here are some photos of the Maloney House (1957) that the realtor sent me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45747476@N ... 176955365/

EJ

Post by EJ »

Although a neat design from what I could see, the Maloney house's current interior design scheme is, well, horrible.

Is there a square foot of space in that house not covered in clutter?
"It all goes to show the danger of entrusting anything spiritual to the clergy" - FLLW, on the Chicago Theological Seminary's plans to tear down the Robie House in 1957

Ed Jarolin

Post by Ed Jarolin »

Do I hear a second on the horrible interior "improvements" (kitchen cabinets, wet bar tile, bathroom vanity and striped wallpaper) and the unsympathetic furnishings? Yes, I have a second. These folks obviously didn't have a clue what they had architecturally.

As to the "surpasses FLlW". Not even close.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The "architecture" doesn't show through on the interior photos, at least it didn't look very interesting to me. The exterior, with its shingles mansard did not fill my heart with joy. And the cheesy lighted risers on the over-carpetted stair case should just be eliminated. Other than some nice stone work and a lot of handsome wood, I don't see much to recommend it. If this is what JRM uses to contest FLW's pre-eminence, he fails.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Since we have all been in numerous Wright houses that were not occupied by the original owners, I am sure that if you can look beyond the decorating, you might enjoy these 360 degree interactive virtual tours. The stone-work, windows and lake view have much to offer.

http://www.wisreal.com/panorama.cfm?vie ... um=1490123

m.perrino

mcdonald house

Post by m.perrino »

I have been a viewer of this site for many years, way back when students would message in, begging for assistance with term papers about FLW, due the next day. I have read many interesting things and learned much,even some of the in-fighting and "feuds" have been a learning experience. With my interest and study of FLW for 35+ years and with my 21 years as a docent/volunteer at Taliesin West, I find it impossible to allow the statement "...better than Wright...." to stand in comparison to the McDonald house.

SDR

Post by SDR »

It's always a mistake to claim that one is BETTER than the original ! With a little humility, a bit more respect is possible. . .

SDR

PNB

Post by PNB »

I don't care for the Mansard roof either although I have never liked these. I do think that if you look past some of the interior furnishings that the inside looks very nice. Surpasses Wright is a silly statement of course but what do you expect in advertising. Still if I wanted a JRM house I would have stuck around my last locale and waited for a much more attractive example of his work to come on the market. It would have been a third of the asking price of this one.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Does this photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/45747476@N ... 176955365/ show the Mansard roof you mention ? What I see is a series of rectangular solids with vertical (not sloped) sides (note vertical edge at far right of photo). . .?

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

It is hard to tell from that one photo, but it dates from a time when some architects were doing a riff on the mansard in shingles. Either way, I don't find it an impressive house. It's nice, but nothing to get overly excited about, with or without the too much furniture and hairy stairs.