Henry Adams House Oak Park 1913 / Beginning of the end of the Prairie

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tom

Henry Adams House Oak Park 1913 / Beginning of the end of the Prairie

Post by Tom »

Roderick puts this house forward as the beginning of the end of the Prairie period for Wright ( the Prairie "began to fall apart with the first version for Henry Adams in 1913").
So I think it deserves it's own thread.
There are at least 2 versions in the Avery File.
I'll try to sort through and keep it all straight.

First to the post is of course Version No.1:

Version No.1 First Floor Plan:

Version No.1 Second Floor Plan:

Version No.1 Section:

Tom

Re: Henry Adams House Oak Park 1913 / Beginning of the end of the Prairie

Post by Tom »

Just came across an article which claims that H. Allen Brooks is the individual that coined the term "Prairie School" and that this term was not in use by anybody during the active years when these houses were being designed and built.
It's an academic term so it does make sense it would not have been in use in the moment, yet makes me wonder about when was the term first employed? Brooks published his book in 1972. Was the term not current until then?

Tom

Post by Tom »

This is a link to elevations of the West block of Midway Gardens.
Distinct similarities to first version of Adams:

https://library.artstor.org/#/asset/285 ... 1482192525

https://library.artstor.org/#/asset/285 ... 1482192525

SDR

Post by SDR »

In his preface to the 1972 edition of "The Prairie School, Frank Lloyd Wright and his contemporaries," H Allen Brooks does not mention the use of the term memorialized in his title, but he does give credit to W R Hasbrouck, "who has done much to stimulate interest in, and reassess the contribution of, these architects through his quarterly, The Prairie School Review, and through the issuance of reprints of previously unavailable articles and books by his Prairie School Press."

Thus it seems unlikely that Brooks is the author of the term . . .

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I knew the late H. Allen Brooks very well. He was a splendid gentleman whose knowledge about architecture was voluminous, beyond FLW. I must admit, he softened my negative assessment of Corbu.

He never made the Prairie School claim to me, and I don't believe it. One thing I have never learned about him: What does the "H." stand for?

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:55 am
What does the "H." stand for?
Brooks, H. Allen (Harold Allen) 1925-2010

David

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

Tom wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:16 pm
Roderick puts this house forward as the beginning of the end of the Prairie period for Wright ( the Prairie "began to fall apart with the first version for Henry Adams in 1913").
So I think it deserves it's own thread.
There are at least 2 versions in the Avery File.
I'll try to sort through and keep it all straight.

First to the post is of course Version No.1:

Version No.1 First Floor Plan:

Version No.1 Second Floor Plan:

Version No.1 Section:
So lovely, I love the simplicity and beauty of usonians but I don't know how to explain... Prairie houses has something that usonians never had again... I don't know what is

Tom

Post by Tom »

Built Version:

First Floor:

Second Floor:

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

I was first introduced to Wright's work via the Prairie work which I found captivating. Then I found the Usonians and felt they were just as spacially complex, but cleaner and neater. No fussy details that would be difficulty to keep clean. I think Wright was always wrestling with the instinct to decorate a building with beaux arts details. What the Prairie works do have that Usonians often lack is street appeal. The Prairies are often two story with a gable roof on top and have a stately presence that rivals anything the beaux arts styles had.