Article/podcast: Imitation or influence? Frank Lloyd Wright’s ‘Bogk House’ and its Milwaukee lookalikes

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.

Roderick Grant

Re: Article/podcast: Imitation or influence? Frank Lloyd Wright’s ‘Bogk House’ and its Milwaukee lookalikes

Post by Roderick Grant »

RBW did not influence FLW, but FLW inspired RBW's copies.

That tired notion that Mamah Borthwick's tragic death manifested itself in the series of designs somehow defined as closed, heavy, somber, even funereal (Imperial, Bogk, Bach, German) is put to rest by Midway Gardens. However forbidding one might find Midway, it came before Mamah's death, at a time when FLW was riding high with a new love and a spectacular country seat. The massiveness of all those buildings derives from FLW's sojourn in Europe, specifically Germany, not by some angst over the loss of his true love. Remember, Mamah died in August, and Miriam came along by November. His greater loss was the burned out shell of Taliesin, which he fixed forthwith. Don't get me started on the Maya connection!

Too many writers have latched onto events in FLW's life, making more of them than close study reveals. He was an extraordinarily complex person, whom no one has yet fully figured out.

Randolph C. Henning

Re: Article/podcast: Imitation or influence? Frank Lloyd Wright’s ‘Bogk House’ and its Milwaukee lookalikes

Post by Randolph C. Henning »

Roderick - My research has Miriam Noel not coming into Wright's life until mid to late December 1914. I'm curious (and interested) in where the "Miriam came along by November" reference came from.

I disagree with Bobby Tanzilo with his comment stating that the Bogk house is "clearly prairie style." It clearly has some elements consistent with Wright's earlier prairie period but, IMHO, the Bogk house is much more of a transitional aesthetic that Wright seemed to be gravitating towards after his return from Europe (purposely shifting away from the prairie formula he had grown weary of). The desires of the client and its site most likely contributed heavily to this final elegant and exceptional solution as well.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

November. December. I think Miriam wrote to FLW in November, and met him shortly thereafter.

I agree that Bogk has little to do with Prairie, which began to fall apart with his first design for Harry Adams in 1913. His time in Germany (Midway, Imperial, etc.) and Italy (Taliesin) showed in his work thereafter. I believe somewhere I read that Mrs. Bogk was a good friend of Mrs. Tomek, and that was how they got together with FLW.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Don't know if this is first design or not / Adams:

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Yes, Tom, that is the first Adams design. Post the floor plans; it was a mess! The house that was built for Adams is conservative in the extreme, as if FLW just wanted to put the project to rest. Unique in his oeuvre, the plan is almost reminiscent of Colonial American work, with a central (almost) entry, flanked by a living room and a dining room, and a stair hall straight ahead. This was the scheme Marion Mahony used for Adolph Mueller, which may suggest that she was instrumental in the design for Adams as well. It is a nice house, but just barely Wright.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Adams Main Floor:

Second Floor:

Tom

Post by Tom »

Adams Second Version (as built?), First Floor:

Adams Second Version (as built?), Second Floor:

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Yes, that is as-built, though the living room may be longer than shown, not sure about that.

One more post: Adams #I longitudinal section.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Going to male an independent Adams thread.
Let's switch over to that.