Joe Munroe House (unbuilt) 1946

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tom

Joe Munroe House (unbuilt) 1946

Post by Tom »

Another great house.
Some very clean and clear working drawings in this file.

File:
https://library.artstor.org/#/search/ar ... e=1;sort=1

SDR

Re: Joe Munroe House (unbuilt) 1946

Post by SDR »

Item #4, a roof framing plan, has some unusual diagonal rafters designed to carry roofs projecting from the house in two directions; not all of these lookouts are at 45º from the orthogonal. Framing of the carport roof is a bit of a mystery, still, on that drawing; all is explained on the developed framing sheet, item #11.

Item 8 is a rearranged plan. The ten-foot drop of the terrain where the house is placed---less steep than further south on the site---is seen on the plot plan. The sections, item #16, show how that site condition translates on the interior. The photographic studio section drawing shows a very high ceiling. Pfeiffer explains in Mono 7 (p 99) that the gallery walls, upper and lower, were intended to provide exhibition space for the owner's work.

A rolling bunk bed and a unique dining chair appear on the furnishing sheet #17. The project is missing from the Taschen III index---at least.

It seems unfortunate that this one wasn't built. How many changes would be required for it to pass muster today ?

S

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

Tom wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:26 am
Another great house.
Some very clean and clear working drawings in this file.

File:
As I recently mentioned, it's a pleasure to find some "new" detail in usonian houses, although most of his house are very similar even like a copy. Here the "gallery" opens to the exterior instead of being a darky small space with tiny windows or furniture (by the way, what is the sense of having lots of storage in the gallery while the bedrooms and "workspace" lacks of storage?). So it's nice to see this galley opens to the exterior, to a terrace. Lovely..!

SDR

Post by SDR »

Households are managed differently by many; much of what needs to be stored in the home is community property, not personal items ?

S

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

nice find Tom

a version of the site pan ( 4608.10) suggests that this design started off as a Vandusen no 2 then modified.

Also sheet (4608.19) Roof Framing Plan has that elusive detail of the steel beam tie down rod.

I gather these rods are relying on the weight of brickwork over - as there appears to be no floor slab thickening or footing thickening! Elevation sheet suggests that basement below kitchen is quite deep - so I suppose the rod there can be quite long( 6'6' - 14') , whereas the one at the entry is only about 6'6" long.

G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

Tom

Post by Tom »

Found a larger drawing of the version similar to Van Dusen (4608.012):

Regarding the steel anchor end detail for the carport beams: Yes, there is brick over the beam ends. You are right about that. And yet the steel end detail specifically asks for the rods to be anchored into the concrete footer. I would assume that the contractor made some provision in the foundation to anchor those rods. This combination/apparatus of steel beam anchored below by connected and extended rods seems to be an old reliable weapon in his quiver that he employs at least as far back as Pope/Leighy and Jacobs. I would not be surprised to find something like it even further back. Why don't we see if we can find an example of it's earliest use?

Below is an interesting detail taken from section B-B (4608.020) thru the living room flower boxes at each end of the "bay" window. Also note the long steel rod just below the upper surface of the slab that serves to bolt the balcony wall. Looks like it may also act as the "negative" reinforcing for that small cantilever. They are called out as "bolts", 7ft long and 7inches on center!

Similar to detail at studio floor edge (4608.021). Seems a tad precarious to me:

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

Looking through the other sheets I found this small sketch ( say 1:200) on the Framing sheet 4608.008

I wonder if this is an apprentice idea, or Mr Wright working on some other project?

maybe:
Ladies home journal (unbuilt) 4510
Loeb house (unbuilt) 4511
freenberg house (unbuilt) 4809 https://library.artstor.org/#/asset/285 ... 1251770980
Publicker house unbuilt 4916 https://library.artstor.org/#/asset/285 ... 1251464357
Windforhr house unbuilt 4919 https://library.artstor.org/#/asset/285 ... 1251473991

are kinda similar!
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

Tom

Post by Tom »

Definitely of the same type. I'm pretty sure these circle houses are all new to me. Not my favorites either, but I'll definitely study them.

There is a built version of the other two houses called Cedar Rock in the state of Iowa if you are not already familiar with it.

The Loeb house is funny. I like the planning yet something about the programming seems silly. Custom circular beds and all. Rebar bent into continuous 'S' curves. Because of a certain perspective drawing of this house I used to think there might be a room under the living room with glass walls that looked out into the pool underwater. The basement plan in this file puts the final kabosh on that notion.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Feenberg looks like Duey Wright. Publicker is a version of Spivey. Windfohr circular living room relates to Monroe/Miller and Bailleres. All of the late circular enclosures are related, simply by geometry.

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

I noticed on one of the site plans 4608.002 that there was an Axis line drawn in

I wonder what this corresponds to?

another think I also noticed in the development of the plan, was the change in the access to the Master bedroom.
Initially it appears that it was via a passage adjacent to the other bedrooms , then it evolved to be directly from the entrance door.

Isnt that unusual for Mr Wright to have the master bedroom directly adjacent to the Master bedroom? - A client request maybe?
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

SDR

Post by SDR »

Proof that last sentence, then get back to me . . . !

Loeb: It's this photo of the model that gives the impression of a submarine floor level. Don't be fooled . . .

Tom

Post by Tom »

Awhile back we found the Paul V. Palmer house on the Heritage Auction Site:

Paul V Palmer 1947:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11807&hilit=Heritag ... ction+site

Looks like there was an earlier version this time with circles.
Seems as though Paul Palmer was an ambitious client.
Too bad he never built.

Paul V Palmer 1943:

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Once FLW got hold of a good idea, he was like a dog with a bone. This is one of the excessively extravagant versions of Jester, and the least convincing.