Villino Belvedere

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tom

Villino Belvedere

Post by Tom »

Gary showed me how he gets images into WrightChat. I'm testing it out here.

I was able to Google locate where Wright and Mamah lived above Florence thru Alofsin's The Lost Years.
Here are some screenshots.
You can see Florence below and the Duomo.
Picturesque spot.

Thanks Gary. It works like a charm!

Tom

Re: Villino Belvedere

Post by Tom »

This is also the place where Wright and Taylor Woolley drew the Wasmuth plates.

SDR

Post by SDR »

So, what's Gary's secret ? If it doesn't involve the use of a web host, I (and others here) would be very interested to know what it is.

We have had discussion of this villa before, and it would be good to be able to connect the two threads. Darned if I can find it, though . . .!

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

FLW called St. Peter's Basilica "Michelangelo's Bastard." I bet he didn't feel that way about Brunelleschi's Dome.

Tom

Post by Tom »

SDR wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:37 am
So, what's Gary's secret ? If it doesn't involve the use of a web host, I (and others here) would be very interested to know what it is.
I will PM you what he sent me. Really whiz bang easy peasey. But it depends upon uploading images first to Flickr which may act as the "webhost" in this case. Which is what I was assuming because of what you have said.
Last edited by Tom on Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Roderick Grant wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:13 pm
FLW called St. Peter's Basilica "Michelangelo's Bastard." I bet he didn't feel that way about Brunelleschi's Dome.
Totally agree and come to think of it - that seems like a valid judgement. Brunelleschi's has none of the cake icing decoration character about it. Just muscle and form.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Three shots from Taylor Woolley in the University of Utah Archives sent by Mark Borthwick.
Makes me wonder who had just been seated at the table:

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Trivial trivia: At the time FLW and Mamah were living in Fiesole, their neighbor was Leo Stein, Gertrude's brother. Perhaps he was the expected guest?

DRN

Post by DRN »

A link to an earlier Chat discussion about Wright and Fiesole:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11695&hilit=Fiesole

Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks, did not know these other threads existed.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Always search; there's usually something back there somewhere, and it's nice to keep like information together---by linking, at least. I don't like rules, but that's a good one. (Wouldn't it be amazing if that happened automatically ?) :idea:

S

g.dorn

Post by g.dorn »

Quarterly Summer 1994 Vol 5 No 3

ImageFreisol Italy 1909 - Quarterly 1994

opening image in a new window ought to see a larger- more readable version
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

How is it that houses in Italy last generations at least, if not centuries. In Seattle they are tearing down anything small and replacing it with a McMansion. Does Italy just prohibit tear downs?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Blame it in part on the 1871 Chicago Fire. To recover quickly, developers invented the balloon frame structure, which, with some modifications, still rules. American houses are built with spit and a promise. There are places in Europe where this has caught on, but not many. Ireland has had suburbs of such flimsy structures that will probably be as transitory as American houses, but most European buildings were constructed to last, at least prior to WWII.

I met a man from the "new side" of a small town in England, only 400 years old, while the old side was 800. Italians are surrounded by bits and pieces of Roman structures 2,000 years and older. They are probably used to the old ways. But I wonder if new, post-war construction is as substantial as Villa Belvedere?