1890's Plan Type

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tom

Re: 1890's Plan Type

Post by Tom »

Regarding 1890's plans - some faint memory tells me that Storrer goes into this.
I don't own a copy myself but I've looked through it several times.
I think I'm right but can't be sure.

SDR

Post by SDR »

You may be thinking of pages like these in the 1993 Storrer "Companion":

p 79:

p 91:

p 116:

p 137:

© 1993 by William Allin Storrer

DRN

Post by DRN »

A couple of years ago, I bought a book at a library sale called "Turn of the Century Houses, Cottages, and Villas".

https://www.amazon.com/Turn-Century-Hou ... 684&sr=8-1

It was a Dover reprint of a selection of 118 house plans dating from 1880 to 1900, published by a New York City architect by the name of R.W.Shoppell. There were a number of architects and designers...eventually "plan services", in the major cities publishing plan books from the 1870's to the present day. They were and are typically geared toward builders and prospective home buyers, but I'm certain most architects were aware of these catalogs and many likely used them as points of departure for their own work. It would be naïve to think Wright never perused one. I doubt Wright would copy anything in a catalog such as this, but he might certainly visualize a plan type and "clean it up" or improve upon it and in so doing, make it his own.

The Shoppell catalog publication timeframe spanned Wright's entry to architecture, his experiments with traditional plan types and styles, and the development of his own direction in design. As one pages through the Shoppell reprint, there are houses at the beginning that are obviously traditional, and almost primitive in their plans, but toward the end and presumably after NY and Chicago architects started publishing house plans in the architectural journals, the plans and forms start to look more like what one would see from Wright in his earliest years...Wright and his mentors and contemporaries may have been influenced by this type of catalog early on, but eventually the leading architects like Wright were themselves influencing the authors of the catalogs.

I'll send some pics to SDR for posting.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Great!
Would love to see some of those.
So I took your title and searched in ZLibrary. I found a similar catalog but not Shoppell's.
Before that I've been perusing in two Dover books of a similar plan catalog type but from the 1920's.
So far I've found one plan that resembles these posted Wright houses of the 1890's.

SDR

Post by SDR »

DRN's images. (Remember that you can enlarge them by opening in a new tab.) He writes:

"I was surprised to see how many houses had elements that reminded me of early Wright. Wright seemed to see and soak up most of what he encountered and then reconstitute elements at will to create something new."

DRN

Post by DRN »

Thanks for posting those SDR.
This is an article about Shoppell's plans and an extant house:
https://psabc.org/r-w-shoppell-and-the- ... sociation/

There used to be house on US Route 202 about a mile south of US Route 1 in Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania that matched a house in the R.W.Shoppell catalog. In the 1970's it was still cedar shingled and had its original windows; then in the 1980's, the windows were replaced with smaller clad windows and it was covered with gray vinyl siding; in the last 10 years, the house was lost to a shoulder widening project. There are a lot of houses of that era that came from plan books like this.

dosyos

Post by dosyos »

Stewart House and Steffens House are very similar in space and disposition
The one in the Stewart House is the oldest built-in garage I know of

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes. A built-in garage was planned for the Cheney house but vetoed by the authorities as unsafe.

https://library.artstor.org/#/asset/284 ... 1108534067 "Automobile room"

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The Stewart House built-in garage was also nixed.