Article: Frank Lloyd Wright-Inspired 3D Cement Tiles + Textile Blocks

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.

DRN

Re: Article: Frank Lloyd Wright-Inspired 3D Cement Tiles + Textile Blocks

Post by DRN »

$75.00 per block plus shipping....
Obviously, this is high end décor, not a building material for the masses.

Still, at $75./block multiplied by the 12,000 or so needed at Freeman, $900,000 plus maybe $120,000 for packing and shipping might be reasonable as a masonry material cost considering the costs to restore being bandied about.

SDR

Post by SDR »

As Wright Chat's resident scourge, I must point out that the Storer tile is not an accurate copy of Wright's design: the center square is larger, and the corner squares smaller, than the original. The article conveniently provides photos of both, one above the other, for comparison.

"Eso’s stunning interpretations of Wright’s work are executed to the highest quality standards so that designers, architects and homeowners can be inspired to bring this rich legacy into homes, offices and landscapes."
– Stuart Graff, CEO, Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

Why "interpretations," Stuart ? What would prevent accurate reproduction, as (apparently) is the case with the other designs ?

S

josquin

Post by josquin »

Perhaps they did "interpretations" to avoid licensing fees.

DRN

Post by DRN »

If Eso Surfaces is using the FLW name in its literature and having the FLW Foundation CEO agree to be quoted as part of it, they are paying licensing fees already.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Of course. And why change only one of the four designs ?

Don't make me come over there . . . ! :roll:

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Back in the Gus Brown days, Ennis blocks - full blocks, not just the face - were produced to rebuild the retaining wall and to be sold for $75 per. I bought 2 perfs. They serve as hobs for my fireplace. I also bought a face Freeman block for a fund raiser. Don't recall what it cost. It sits in my closet in its box, unopened. I have no place to put it.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Unity Temple used to sell chunks of rubble, mounted, for a pretty good price. Robie offered brick fragments to donors for, as I recall, $200. If Freeman were to replace its blocks rather than restore them it might be able to do something like this, especially if it had an institutional owner who could make them a tax-deductible donation.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Good to know...I suspect the Freeman blocks can't practically be restored, such that replacement/rebuild will be necessary for the exterior wythe at least. It couldn't hurt to offer the cast-off's as a means to offset some costs.