St Marks Drawing Sequence

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tom

Re: St Marks Drawing Sequence

Post by Tom »

Thank you.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

As HOJO shows, the plaque was indeed made and installed.

The garden on the roof garden may or may not have been built, but when I was there in the 90s for a FLWBC Board Retreat, when the entire tower was empty, the roof was as HOJO's second image shows it. I believe that it is now fitted out for dining? Not sure about that, though.

The residences occupy only one quadrant, while the other 3/4 is office space.

FLW's book, "The Story of the Tower," may be difficult to find (Amazon doesn't list it), but It is an essential part of a complete FLW library. The book is full of construction photos from start to finish.

"Prairie Skyscraper," by Anthony Alofsin, Monica Montagut, Joseph M. Siry, Hilary Ballon, Pat Kirkham and Scott W. Perkins (Rizzoli, 2005, 176 pp.) is listed @ $94.54 hardcover, used, and $99.00 paperback, new. It is comprehensive, including a chronology from 1952 to 2006 many drawings, photographs, references to earlier related work ... but no roof garden.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Thank you.

I did find it on Amazon - Jan 1 1956 first edition at almost $400:
https://www.amazon.com/Story-Tower-esca ... B0007DNYA8

The color rendering in the Amazon sample shots does seems to show a roof garden (vegetation growing over parapet)with just discernible jet fountain in background- though no sign of the jet fountain in the Avery Foundation ArtStor file drawings.

DRN

Post by DRN »

In 1992, prior the internet world of the used book market, a friend checked out a copy of Story of the Tower from the Drexel University Library for me to read up on the Price Tower in advance of a visit to Bartlesville. I thought the book a great resource to have along, but I was reluctant to travel with a book that was not mine and nearly impossible or viciously expensive to replace. I took the book to a copy center that began with a 'K', and asked for plastic spine bound copy. The clerk asked her manager if it was okay to copy, and the manager asked me if the book was out of print for more than 25 years? It was. The manager asked if the copy was for personal research or educational use only? I replied yes.

The book got copied and bound.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Nice ... perfect

Rood

Post by Rood »

Tom wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:02 pm
Roderick - Somehow I'm assuming you've seen the Price Tower. I may be wrong. I have not been there myself. But do you know if this bronze plaque was executed and installed at the center of the lobby floor?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54449844@ ... ateposted/

I've been looking in the Price Tower file in the Foundation Archives. ... The drawings indicate a lush planted "green" roof covering the entire surface of the lower office building that the tower rises out of. Was that actually executed? ...
Mr. Wright's drawings usually included lots of greenery and flowered plantings, almost as integral parts of his buildings. but that doesn't mean every balcony or rooftop had a provision for planting boxes. However, several photographs in the final section entitled: The Skyscraper Comes Into Its Own do show plantings on the carport roof ... some fairly straggly plantings, the photos evidently taken in winter-time.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Steel Cathedral

Did Wright work mostly in colored pencil to the extent that whenever we see a design drawing by him it should be assumed to have been executed in color?
So that all these design sketches for St Marks would be in color most likely?

SDR

Post by SDR »

No, I would not make that assumption. While the Monographs and the Artstor files deny the reader the information to make that determination---because they present only monotone images of the drawings---other publications reveal the presence or absence of color on drawings known or supposed to be in Wright's hand, as well as those (the vast majority) made by apprentices. "Three Quarters of a Century of Drawings," the Taschen "Compete Works" and the MoMA book of 1994 all have much if not most of their contents reproduced in color.

Wright Studio plans and sections in the early years often had poché (the solid, opaque structural parts of the building) of a handsome red color, ink or paint, which not incidentally prints as black in the various architectural reproduction media. Perspective drawing in line frequently had highlighted areas lightened with white watercolor or tempera. We know that the famous initial Fallingwater plan sketches were done in various colors to distinguish between the various levels on a single sheet of tracing paper. Full color, in pencil, was reserved for presentation drawings, whether in Wright's hand or by apprentices---by and large.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Don't forget crayons.

Craig

Post by Craig »

I have a first edition copy of "The Story of the Tower" published by Horizon that I would be willing to sell for $150. It has a chipped dust cover but the binding is firm. It also includes the color photographic insert which is sometimes missing. Please contact me via private message if interested. Thanks.
ch

DRN

Post by DRN »

Tom’s question about the bronze plaque at the Price Tower may have been lost in the shuffle...a bronze plaque was indeed set at the center of the elevator lobby at each floor.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Yes, somebody posted a shot of it here.
So, Price Tower had a bronze plaque.
One was drawn and planned for Coonley
The Imperial Hotel had plaques drawn but don't know if they were executed.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Tom, there is a book on the Imperial, written after the hotel was closed and shortly before it was demolished. There are exquisitely drawn plans, elevations, sections, details, furniture showing just about everything one might want to know about the hotel ... but no plaque. Unfortunately, only captions are in English, so I don't know if there is any reference to an unmade plaque.

JimM

Post by JimM »

The Coonley plaque was installed at the prow of the terrace; a points of the compass abstraction with the initials "F" & "C" (Ferry Coonley).