Virtual Reality tour of Yodoko Guest House - Ashiya, Japan

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Virtual Reality tour of Yodoko Guest House - Ashiya, Japan

Post by DavidC »

jay

Re: Virtual Reality tour of Yodoko Guest House - Ashiya, Japan

Post by jay »

That's really cool...!!
Such elegant spaces.

The page is a bit tricky to figure out––here's the direct link for the tour:
https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=QQHYr8tVBmS

SDR

Post by SDR »

What a treat. No drawings are found in the Archive; Arata Endo saw to the house's completion. Monograph 4 dates the house to 1918 and presents two Futatawa photos and a tiny pair of post hoc drawings; Taschen II gives a date of 1922 and another two small color photos---a disappointment considering the importance of the work.

Plans of the house can be found here:

https://www.yodoko-geihinkan.jp/en/guide/

Other material here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/evandagan ... otostream/

https://artscape.jp/artscape/eng/focus/191215_01.html

Compare to Freeman https://ca-times.brightspotcdn.com/dims ... snap-image

Futagawa photo. He must have documented the house well---somewhere ?

Matter from Monograph 4:

Plan is oriented opposite the elevation:

Matter from Taschen II:

W A Storrer photo

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

One Japanese source gives the date of 1926. Which date is correct is hard to prove, but the 1918 date seems least likely, since FLW was still involved with the hotel at that time.

The overall plan was certainly FLW through and through, but the detailing, which is a bit intense, must have been by Endo.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Alofsin omits Yamamura in the index to "The Lost Years," but in Note 73 to Chapter Eight (p 369) he gives a firm date of 1918 to the house---as does Sweeney ("Wright in Hollywood," p 23). There's no precedent for the assertion that Wright couldn't have designed Yamamura contemporaneously with the Hotel; the Immu and Inoue houses also belong to 1918, and the cinema for the Ginza and the Fukuhara house were also begun that year. Site clearing for the Imperial Hotel began in September, 1918.

One question to ask would be, how loyal to Mr Wright's wishes and instructions had Endo Arata proved to be, before he was given this work to complete. The dining room with its pyramidal ceiling and (some might say) gratuitous filigree (a favorite of photographers and editors, apparently) could be ascribed to another, but the detailing is otherwise remarkably consistent, isn't it ?

I wonder if anyone has counted the copper (?) medallions which appear in a number of openings throughout. The sash and shelving, while highly original (don't you love those passage doors with their ultra-wide stiles, notched top and bottom at the joint with the rail ?), are not un-Wrightian---as I see it. In Japan Wright could let his inner Arts & Craftsman out, a bit ?

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

https://www.amazon.com/Frank-Lloyd-Wrig ... B0053100LA

The author was the source for Sweeney's elevation drawing (p 26):

The elevation in Monograph 4 is uncredited, too. Who made these drawings---either of them ? Note minor detail differences, consistent drawing style:

Pfeiffer, in the Chronology at the back of Monograph 4, gives a date of 1918 . . . for the trifecta.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I was talking about the construction, not the design of Yamamura. I know FLW didn't design anything for Japan after he left, but Yamamura was not built while he was still there, I am sure; if it had been, the interior design elements would have been very different. There is a major non-Wrightian look to the interiors.

There is also the fact that, while the plans were done in American scale - feet and inches -, the elevations used the Japanese measuring system, which explains the slightly excessive height. If FLW had been on the job, the massing of Yamamura would have resembled Barnsdall more than it does.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The assertion that the house was built as late as 1924 is supported by the statement quoted above in the Taschen text---a statement attributed to Wright, c. 1957---that evidence for that date was found while while the house was being measured.

All else is opinion, as I see it. If Wright didn't design what we see on the interior, who did ? Do we see Endo arriving at these forms on his own ? Is there other work by him that would suggest this degree of originality ?

https://www.spoon-tamago.com/2014/10/02 ... -in-japan/

There is a link on that page to a house Endo designed in 1928. This might be an occasion for another look at the so-called design principles said to characterize Wright's work, and to identify elements in the Yamamura house that do not conform to those rules.

The 30º bend in the plan raises a question, perhaps; I assume the form and topography of the site dictated this move.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

About 35 years ago, I saw a book on Arata Endo which Kathryn Smith owned. She bought it while in Japan, and the book was never available in the states. I wish I had that book. Endo's work was excellent, whether it was derivative or not.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:28 pm
About 35 years ago, I saw a book on Arata Endo which Kathryn Smith owned. She bought it while in Japan, and the book was never available in the states....
Perhaps this one?

David

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

It could be, though as I recall, it was paper cover without a slip case. But 35 years takes its toll.