List Of DIY/Self-Built Wright Houses?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
TrevorHikes

List Of DIY/Self-Built Wright Houses?

Post by TrevorHikes »

I was just watching the videos for the Lovness house and how the couple build the house themselves. Is there a list of DIY built wright houses?

Roderick Grant

Re: List Of DIY/Self-Built Wright Houses?

Post by Roderick Grant »

I think that would be a short list. Other than Lovness, there would be Berger and Pappas, but offhand I cannot think of any others.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Baird, Manson and Peterson, I've heard, are other examples.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Although there may be few other Usonians which could properly be called "self-built" (selbst-gemacht, in German, a friend has said), other owners have swung a hammer, made furniture, and/or wielded a paint-brush, either during the original construction or as follow-up tasks. Herb Jacobs boarded his own ceiling; Paul Hanna made furniture. How many Textile Block or Usonian Automatic clients made their own blocks/tiles ?

S

Eric Saed
Location: Minne-sO-tah Norwegian living in exile in Lubbock, Texas

Post by Eric Saed »

Didn't the Reisleys do a fair share of their own work as well?

SDR

Post by SDR »

One brief paragraph in Roland Reisley's book reads as follows:

"Where possible we tried to help with the construction. I put up siding on one wall, an easy one, and sanded and applied finish to some of the wood. Ronny filled most of the nail holes with plastic wood. Together we stapled insulation between rafters. Everything was coming together." There is a photo of Ronny hefting a concrete block; another photo on the same page shows the block walls before stone was applied to them.

Despite an extremely limited budget, and an ongoing impatience to occupy their new house, the Jacobses left all the building of Usonia I to the masons, carpenters, electricians, etc. Their custom-made furniture, designed by Wright in an unusually spare and even conventional style, was built by Katherine's cousin and his brother, of oak, before the house was begun. Somehow a four-by-eight-foot living-room table, the eight-foot dining table, two large lounge chairs, six upholstered dining/side chairs, a square coffee table (ancestor of all those Usonian coffee tables ?), a hassock, and a child's table and two little chairs, were delivered to their small Madison apartment---and fitted inside !

S

yellowcat

Post by yellowcat »

I am very thankful that Rood, many years ago on this site, recommended the book "An American Proceeding, Building the Grant House with Frank Lloyd Wright"(2010), by Donna Grant Reilly.

It along with "Growing Up Wright"(2020), by Lonnie Lovness are two of my favorite hands-on construction stories. "Building With Frank Lloyd Wright, An Illustrated Memoir"(1978), by Herbert and Katherine Jacobs is also very good especially the part about the Jacobs 2 construction.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Maybe DIY, in most of those cases, should be HIY?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Help it yourself ?
Hire it yourself ?
Haul it yourself ?
Hype it yourself ?
Hang it yourself ?