Arthur R. Munkwitz duplex apartments windows

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
jshan99

Re: Arthur R. Munkwitz duplex apartments windows

Post by jshan99 »

I believe these windows to be Elmslie and not FLW.
I found a close example listed here:
https://www.archantiques.com/sold-2020- ... inet-doors

outside in

Post by outside in »

interesting, Wright evidently sent the window pattern for the hunt house to Brigham for his house in Glencoe.

SDR

Post by SDR »

It would appear so; here is an entry from the Brigham file at Artstor:

https://library.artstor.org/#/asset/285 ... 3278623885

As for the previous post, I'm in the dark as to relevance. And the seller's page doesn't specify how many windows are (were) being offered . . .!

S

jshan99

Post by jshan99 »

I think the discussion got off track a bit. The original question was asking on the attribution of the live auctioneers windows claiming to be from the Munkwitz apartments and designed by FLW. I would say "no" because none of the pictures or drawings of the apartments provided show the windows or anything close.
I found an example of almost a style copy of the window stating to be from Elmslie. I am wondering if anyone can confirm this or the window on archantiques.com is mis-identified as well?
Does anyone here have deep knowledge of Elmslie windows? I have the 2 main books about Purcell & Elmslie but I do not see this style of window listed. There are some close examples, but nothing definite.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks for that clarification, jshan. While we have not yet seen (I think) fabricated copies or emulations of Prairie-era glass that is fraudulently presented as genuine, we have certainly seen objects like this (these ?) windows misrepresented---intentionally or otherwise. (In the past several years a number of letters, postcards and the like--even Wright drawings--have appeared on the market, wholly fabricated to appear as genuine Taliesin ephemera. One awaits with trepidation the forging of furniture and other items presented as original works.)

If you have looked closely for windows in Elmslie that match these, and have come up empty-handed, I suspect that they will not be found. For every genuine Wright, Purcell & Elmslie, or other significant designers' art glass, there are hundreds or thousands of anonymous emulations spread across the land. I have repeatedly written to vendors who present such items, asking if they can verify the authenticity of objects proffered as historic; responses vary. Last week we were gratified to find that a table presented as belonging to the Hanna family was indeed genuine (though its designer remains unverified).

We have learned in recent times that the credulousness of the public, in this country at least, cannot be overestimated. Let us be prepared to defend history when necessary, in the spirit of architectural preservation ?

S