1908 Hardy House Photos: Photo Proof Positive

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Mark Hertzberg

1908 Hardy House Photos: Photo Proof Positive

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

Newly discovered 1908 photos shed light on the history of the house.

www.wrightinracine.com

Mark Hertzberg
Mark Hertzberg

DRN

Re: 1908 Hardy House Photos: Photo Proof Positive

Post by DRN »

Thanks for sharing this Mark!
This goes to show the value of period photos of historic places and structures, even when the building or place is not the primary subject.

Family snapshots scanned for me by the Sweeton’s children and grandchildren have been vital to our efforts of restoration.

Mark, the Artstor website we have been gleefully scouring has some photos that come up in searches for given projects, but they do not come up consistently, or in the numbers I suspect exist. Is there a means of access or request for photos from the Wright Archive for a specific client, project, or location?

toastedskin

Post by toastedskin »

Christies offered three of the original Hardy house windows for auction in 2019.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction ... dy-house-2

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

A fourth window was donated to the OA+D Archive.
Mark Hertzberg

Tim

Post by Tim »

Mark -

Your passion is awesome!

That’s my favorite FLW House.

Question: Have you thought about the content of your website and how to keep it going after you hang it up or the inevitable happens?

As a society, we have not solved how to archive electronic content. It would be a shame for some version of us 100 years from now to have to rediscover stuff that you’ve already researched and discovered!

SDR

Post by SDR »

In my opinion every Wright building, and each Wright client, deserves a book. Books about Wright's philosophies and much-vaunted "principles"---so freely mentioned, so seldom enumerated (like a curved wooden wall, so easy to draw and so difficult to build)---are legion, while nuts-and-bolts accounts of the design and construction of individual buildings can be counted on the digits of a person's hands. Does not the reality of Wright's work reside in the structures that were built to his designs ? Are not the principles, as they exist, most effectively demonstrated in the built work ?

Like the much-enjoyed and irreplaceable house tours we've recently been treated to, thanks to the tireless work of the four individuals who together comprise the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy, accounts of the various properties may vary in the quantity and quality of the information dispensed.

Mark's 2006 book covering the Hardy house is one such reference. Will it want to be undated following the arrival of these new photos ? How would that new material be distributed and incorporated into the published history ?

Hew, not hue: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hew%20to

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The photo near the bottom of a little girl in front of one of the gates suggests, by the condition of the wood panel, that the stucco was probably a thin sheet covering the boards, removed early on, reveling original boards beneath.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Why do we think it's stucco, rather than paint ? Granted, one photo shows, at left, an open gate where the white panel appears to have a horizontal texture or line . . .

It's nice to see, at last, what the original gates looked like. And no gas meter !

S

Mark Hertzberg

Post by Mark Hertzberg »

Thank you for your comments and support. What happens to my posts after I check out? I really don't know. I would hope they would live on in Internet-Land.

"Hew" vs. "hue" has been corrected. Thank you.

I am glad you like my 2006 book. It started as something different, as a book named "Dear Frank Lloyd Wright House." In 2003 or so, Mrs. Yoghourtjian (steward from 1968-2012 with her husband Jim) had given me a box with every letter written to the house since they bought it. There were about 180. I got permission from many of the correspondents to use their letters. Even the way the letters were addressed (some to Mr. Hardy who had died 30 years before some of the letters addressed to him personally were written) was fascinating. I categorized the letters (requests the see the house, requests to see the house for scholarly research, vendors selling historic marker plaques) and proposed to the publisher that be the book. I thought this would be a unique Wright book. There was no interest on their part (the late Suzette Lucas, the wonderful longtime Editor of the Frank Lloyd Wright Quarterly) liked the idea and published a short version of it in an issue of the magazine.

I then took a different tack with the book...the first half being the nuts and bolts history of the house and an architectural analysis of it, the second half was the six families of stewards of the house experienced the architecture. I was fortunate to find a representative of every family that lived in the house, including two of Hardy's grandchildren. Their photos (though none from the Hardys) enriched that half of the book. A Wright scholar had once derided my Wright in Racine book as too anecdotal and I know one who does not think the Hardy book is serious enough (I freely admit that I am not an architect or someone with degrees in architectural history...I am a photojournalist who majored in International Relations and got commissions to write and photograph four books about Wright's work in southeastern Wisconsin). The anecdotal parts of my book excite me because they make the structures come alive...these are the people who experienced the architecture firsthand. The Hardy book was well receive critically but it did not sell well. It would be wonderful to update the book with new photographs, tales and my myriad photographs of Gene's rehabilitation of the house, etc., but there is no market to pay for producing a second edition. My "Wright in Racine" went into three printings...several hundred copies of the Hardy book were sold to Powell's in Portland because there was no general market for them. I was very fortunate to place my four books with two excellent publishers. Publishing books is harder and harder. I liked working with contracts from publishers because they marketed my books for me. That was an important part in getting them to readers.
Mark Hertzberg

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

SDR, the photo of Hardy with the flag (enlarged) shows a texture that looks more like stucco than paint, but it might have been either.