Well maintained Ted van Fossen 1957 house

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Modmom1

Well maintained Ted van Fossen 1957 house

Post by Modmom1 »

Thought you all would enjoy to see a "57 Ted van Fossen house in Rush Creek village with some beautiful and well maintained detailing. Lots of photographs!

https://www.cymack.com/property/240-221 ... FLX-usJd9Q

SDR

Re: Well maintained Ted van Fossen 1957 house

Post by SDR »

! ! ! ! !

I thought I had seen van Fossen; I hadn't. Thank you ! My day is made . . .

(Be sure to expand photos for the full effect.)

S

Modmom1

Post by Modmom1 »

This is the original Wakefield House (Dick and Martha Wakefield were the developers with Ted van Fossen as the designer of the community of ~ 50 organic modernist homes in Rush Creek Village in Worthington OH)

Note the bas relief on image 8 and on the door on image 23. van Fossen had worked as a carpenter on '39 Armstrong under Tony Smith and Larry Cuneo (apprentices) and I wondered if he was responsible for fabricating the bas relief in that residence. (Seen on image 24 in this link of Armstrong: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandho ... 05#photo23)

Found a better pic of Armstrong bas relief and a comment suggesting it was by John Howe, but note the similarities with van Fossen's pieces: viewtopic.php?p=108469#p108469

SDR

Post by SDR »

Wonderful. So, van Fossen was a hands-in maker as well as designer ? I did not know that (in Johnny Carson voice---or was it Ed McMahon ?). Thanks !

S

Modmom1

Post by Modmom1 »

I have a January 1941 letter from Mary Gunning to Tony Smith (courtesy of the Tony Smith Estate-thankfully he archived everything)expressing how much the house means to them and at the end it states "Give my regards to Ted and tell him those parts of the house where we sit and work and keep things are really beautiful." This is consistent with what the Gunning's children remember - that Tony Smith (age 27 and experienced through his family's foundry as well as an apprentice with Wright) was mainly responsible for the design, while Ted (age 19 yo and not an apprentice-served as a laborer under Smith and Cuneo on Armstrong (IN) and Suntop Homes (PA)was mainly responsible for building the cabinetry and built in furniture.

After Smith passed away in 1980, TvF claimed more of the design of Glenbrow than the family members had been told by their parents. He learned a lot working with Smith and later Whitney R. Smith in California, until he returned to Ohio in the early 1950s and joined forces with the Wakefields to create RCV.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks for that, Modmom. I'm learning more about this man from you than from any other source. Is he worthy of a monograph ? Of course he is . . .

This is a remarkable house. Is the plan Y-shaped, X-shaped, K-shaped ? Neither perhaps---but the fully-glazed dining "corridor" is reminiscent of the one at Auldbrass, and if not is nevertheless a delightful episode.

And the woodwork ! Beautiful in color, perfect in condition---and so much of it. Truly a treasure . . .

S

Modmom1

Post by Modmom1 »

Article on house with additional photos for those interested:

https://www.dispatch.com/story/lifestyl ... 994780001/

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

This is a very complex house. A floor plan would have been helpful.

1and1appliance

Post by 1and1appliance »

This is a really interesting topic! I would love to know more about this.

Appliance Repair Service in Wheaton

SDR

Post by SDR »

Are the van Fossen papers held somewhere ?

S

Modmom1

Post by Modmom1 »

The University of Minnesota has archived material.

https://archives.lib.umn.edu/repositori ... urces/2151

This links to papers from the Pepinski residence in Rush Creek Village and may be of interest (but different house):

https://www.ohiomemory.org/digital/coll ... der/nosort