Alsop house news

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
peterm

Re: Alsop house news

Post by peterm »

flwromanza- (Mr. Miner?) I haven’t kept up with Revival developments for a while. Did the Canadians break ground on the Banff Pavilion?

I’d love to hear some updates…

Healeyjet

Post by Healeyjet »

Peter, I was in Banff last weekend and sadly nothing is taking place. I believe flwromanza was having issues with the town of Banff committing to go ahead with the project. We live 7 hours away from Banff and would love to see the project go forward but alas I do not think it will happen.
Ward

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks for that report, Ward. I have to believe, based on the sensible arguments made in this thread, that a failure of the Banff project would not be entirely a bad thing for the Wright community nor for the locals in Banff. I'm sorry to have to say that, considering the well-intentioned hard work that has gone into the project to date.

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

The final zoom auction was held today, and Alsop has sold!

Mia Reed Hankins, of Raleigh NC, daughter of important midcentury architect Charles Reed, Jr, A.I.A. is the new steward. It has been her lifelong dream to live in a Wright house. She is leaving her home in N. Carolina to live full time in Oskaloosa.

She texted me today:
“My feet have not yet touched the ground!!!!”

I’m not at liberty to divulge the price, but I can assure you it was well above the asking of 450,000.

I am happy (and relieved).

peterm

Post by peterm »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Bravo !! Open a bottle of bubbly, everyone. What great news . . .

Reed's work is interesting: highly rationalized plans, with warm exterior expression, eventually trading stack-bond CMU for running bond, and in one case hollow (?) roof rafters. I wonder if color photos exist ?

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

Hurray, hurrah, and huzzah!!!!!
Cue the welcome wagon!

In Reed’s work I see Wright, Schweikher, and Kahn influences, but the designs are unique and pleasing in their openness and order.

peterm

Post by peterm »

I’ll ask Mia if she can direct me to more images of her father’s work. Btw- Her mother, Elaine Reed was a graphic designer, ceramicist, sculptor and painter.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Where in North Carolina is she moving from?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I remember Reed's work from back when, especially the Heller House. Excellent architect.

Hope Ms Hankins becomes a WC commentator in the fashion of Modmom, and lets us in on what's happening on in Oskaloosa.

DRN

Post by DRN »

I'd like to thank Peter again for his indefatigable efforts to assist Gordon's sister in marketing the house to the preservation community.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Thanks Dan. As you might suspect, it wasn’t completely altruistic on my part. I felt it important to know who my neighbor would be (or not be!) and obviously wanted the best price for the estate of Gordon Bollinger. I think Mia will be the perfect steward and seems to have the courage, humility and resources to tackle the restoration projects. She grew up with art and architecture. And from my conversations with her, she seems to be a wonderful, lively person with a great sense of humor.

Tom- she’s leaving a beach house in the Wilmington area.

Roderick- I’ll make her aware of WC, if she isn’t already.