Hugo Avila's Wright Renders

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Re: Hugo Avila's Wright Renders

Post by Roderick Grant »

The 1950 Bloomfield Project (Mono 7/240; Taschen 3/223-4) was intended to be built of desert masonry. It was a virtual copy of the 1943 Hein Project (Mono 7/36; Taschen 3/39; Herbert Jacobs' "Building With Wright" 77).

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

Roderick Grant wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 12:52 pm
The 1950 Bloomfield Project (Mono 7/240; Taschen 3/223-4) was intended to be built of desert masonry. It was a virtual copy of the 1943 Hein Project (Mono 7/36; Taschen 3/39; Herbert Jacobs' "Building With Wright" 77).
I talked with Hugo about that, and he told me that in the Artstor Library archives the drawings says concrete block and later it was changed to adobe. I only knew the stone version also and it's my favorite.

Last edited by juankbedoya on Sun May 16, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Apparently the material was changed at some point:

Page 17: "Masonry walls change to adobe. Under all adobe walls provide a poured concrete footing to extend at least six (6") inches above natural grade"

But on page 19, the adobe appears to have stone slabs showing, as if the adobe replaced only the concrete, and the stone finish remained? Only image 26 indicates plain adobe walls; all other images that show wall finish indicate imbedded stones.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The last four pages of the Sterling Kinney file are drawings, dated 1955, of an unbuilt first scheme for the client. Does this house bear resemblance to Bloomfield ?

https://library.artstor.org/#/search/Wr ... =1;size=48

S

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

SDR wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 8:10 pm
The last four pages of the Sterling Kinney file are drawings, dated 1955, of an unbuilt first scheme for the client. Does this house bear resemblance to Bloomfield ?

S
I'm in love of the unbuilt scheme. It's quite more interesting and poetical for me than the built one. It's one of my favorite projects. It looks like musical notes. Do you know why that scheme was rejected..? Going back to Bloomfield, who knows but I love the stone version.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Hein (and its progeny) is a masterpiece, given that it was designed in 1943, and FLW was still ruminating about it 12 years later. Hein is like Sundt, Clifton, Jester and other schemes that popped up periodically: Frank really wanted to build that house. He came close with Muirhead and Boswell, and closer with Price, Sr., but never quite hit the mark.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The Hein drawings (1943) are labeled "Country Home for . . ."---a sign of Mr Wright's affection for the design, and/or the client ? The exterior shade slats for windows represent some of the oddest millwork I've seen in Wright. The dining table comes closer to Prairie precedent than any in the Usonian canon that I know of. The connected outbuilding contains a mish-mash of functions: dark room, feed room, chicken house (with isometric detail of "nest" construction), horse stable, cow barn, and workshop.

I'm not sure I see the relationship of Hein to the Grandma House.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Hein and Price, Sr. are both strung out in a manner not unusual for FLW. He tended to build houses one room deep, rather than clustered. Even the private family wing of Taliesin is a version of the same approach.

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

It's one of my favorite FLW designs. The very embodiment of prospect and refuge with part of the main volume glass and part solid rock/block/adobe/whatever. The material is less important in my opinion than the shape. It is a rather compact design and if I ever win the lottery I'd build it...but about 20% bigger.

jay

Post by jay »

Hugo's video of Bloomfield:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOePjqeXjC4

At 3:30, the movement from the dining area to the main volume is beyond charming.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks ! It's great to see the insides as well as the outsides of these houses.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Avila and Romero have done wonderful things to many fantastic FLW works never realized. The Ennis House was realized, but in such an altered state that it qualifies as an unbuilt masterpiece. That's the one I am waiting to see given its due.