Article: 'Chair Designs and Architects'

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Article: 'Chair Designs and Architects'

Post by DavidC »

SDR

Re: Article: 'Chair Designs and Architects'

Post by SDR »

Thanks ! Chairs by Kahn, Zumthor, Calatrava, Ando and Hadid are new to me. And I've certainly never seen that armchair by Gropius !

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

They couldn’t find a photo of a real Barcelona chair? The top cushion always rests on the bottom and there should be no seams at the corners (unless it’s one from the 1920s, which this is not).

https://www.designcollectors.com/en/kno ... chair-spec

That’s a bit sloppy.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Good catch. As to the chair you linked, that's not Knoll either, even though it looks right ? Good enough for me, in any event.

This sentence caught my eye: "For example, the elegant chrome frame is polished by hand." Does Knoll make theirs of the original polished stainless ?

Interesting that this supplier mentions Knoll's name. Maybe Knoll won the right to insist that knock-off makers include that line . . . ?

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

The chair I linked is Knoll. Is there something that seems wrong? It better be, at 6400 Euros!

The earliest frames in Europe were chrome plated. Knoll switched to stainless steel; now they offer both:

https://www.knoll.com/product/barcelona ... ion=design

http://www.knoll-int.com/home/by-design ... lona-relax

SDR

Post by SDR »

Ah. Good. No, I was surprised to see only a casual mention of the maker, considering its cachet . . .

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

Mies van der who? Ohhh, Barcelona, yeah, I know that one! Is Mies a Spanish name?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Rietveld wins the prize for closest relationship between chair and building.

I have never seen any furniture by Ando before. Perhaps he should stick to architecture.