Similar Floor Plans

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Re: Similar Floor Plans

Post by Roderick Grant »

On an earlier post about Auldbrass, Joel was taken to task for the quality of his displays being inconsistent with the quality of the architecture. I have been to Auldbrass, and it is wonderful. There is a playhouse attitude to the house that the collection fits into quite nicely. Even the moose head - which PC says we should condemn - works. (Since I'm PI, the moose doesn't bother me a bit.) Slack should be cut.

Many agree that the prime of FLW''s 5 or 6 careers happened from Malcolm Willey to WWII. (Some might call it his renaissance, but we all know what he thought of that period!) Of all the wonderful designs of that era, Auldbrass is the most inventive, even more so than Hanna, its closest cousin. Yet it got short shrift when it came to publication, probably because so many of the drawings were hard to reproduce clearly. Or possibly because it was too hard for some critics to comprehend. Or Manhattan didn't know how to find Yamassee. By 1986, the place was falling apart. Joel saved it. Now it has taken its place as one of the true masterpieces.

SDR

Post by SDR »

It is a wonder. Canted walls---which I like irregardless (sic)---don't lend themselves to side-hinged doors; who cares. Perhaps the biggest conundrum is the bent roof-support beam which Tom looked hard at. What the hey: it stands.

Do you believe Eric's proposed additional structure(s) should be erected---or is what's there enough for any man or beast---angels included ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The guest house was part of the original design that never got built, so if Joel wants to complete the estate, he should go ahead with it. Yet I don't think it's a necessity. It's a large, blocky structure, and at two stories, it would dominate the main house.

Rudder

Post by Rudder »

I’ve stayed in the guest cabins at Auldbrass and they are amazing. Little octagon structures. Auldbrass itself is unique as there is no insulation and the walls are basically furniture.

SDR

Post by SDR »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9709

Is a guest cabin synonymous today with the "Negro Cabin" on Wright's drawings ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

yes