Video: Millard House - Pasadena, CA

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Video: Millard House - Pasadena, CA

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Too brief.

SDR

Post by SDR »

A minute and eleven seconds isn't long enough to take in an architectural masterwork ? :D

Two positive attributes: Longer shots than is usually the case; house is empty of furniture (except for that giant mirror -- how long has that been in place ?).

SDR

g.dorn

Re: Video: Millard House - Pasadena, CA

Post by g.dorn »

found this more recent video of millard house
posted April 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Ho-ZDreyA
G Dorn
Perth Western Australia
www.dornworks.com
think, design, build

Robert

Post by Robert »

g.dorn wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:00 am
found this more recent video of millard house
posted April 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Ho-ZDreyA
Not to sound unappreciative, but that too is just a montage of old pictures, every one of which I've had on my computer for years. I'd love some pics or videos of the servant's room downstairs, the adjoining basement storage room, the stairs that go up to the garage and the interior of the garage itself.

I do have a question. The railing of the second floor balcony does not extend all the way to the wall, on either end:

Is there a practical/functional reason for this? It seems kind of dangerous, as a person, especially a child, could easily fall to the floor below. Am I correct in assuming that it's just for aesthetics?

Edit: Also, that narrow bridge from the main house to Lloyd's add-on seems like something a person wouldn't want to navigate across after they've had one or two too many, haha.
Also, the immediate area inside the add-on, right after you go across the bridge, is another area that's never photographed, nor are floor plans extant on the internet.
Robert

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

As far as I know those gaps are only a design feature. Another idiosyncracy of the parapet is that it's only 32 inches high. That seems to be for scale. If we look up at it from the living room, we figure that it's standard waist height and estimate the rest of the room from that.

Lloyd's bridge, to judge from photos, connects to the studio at the northwest corner of the loft (a bedroom in gdorn's linked video). P. 75 figure 2 in Weintraub's book shows, at far left, a door out to a colonnade.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Everything Wright does is for scale. Look at a photo of the upper terrace at Fallingwater, taken on a visitor day: the parapet comes to mid-thigh on an adult human.

https://i1.wp.com/laceandgraceblog.com/ ... C720&ssl=1

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I would love to see the bridge removed and the garden front of the house restored. Also, that window in the sleeping alcove of the Studio, which disrupts the symmetry of the façade has always annoyed me. There is another window in the space, plus ambient light from the main room. That window is not necessary.