Article: Eichler homes

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Article: Eichler homes

Post by DavidC »

SREcklund

Re: Article: Eichler homes

Post by SREcklund »

Embarrassing ... and typically Dwell ... that they can't even show an unadulterated Eichler in the article.
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

SDR

Post by SDR »

And does any one of Eichler's architects deserve more credit than the others ?

SDR

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DRN

Post by DRN »

While perusing the August 1958 issue of House & Home which featured Wright's Thaxton House, I came across a news item on page 41 about a test case in California which struck down race bias in FHA, and VA financed home sales. There was a side bar to the news piece in which it was noted that Joseph Eichler resigned from the National Association of Home Builders, over comments made by the Executive Vice President of the San Francisico NAHB Office that stated the NAHB was not pleased with the Court's decision.
It's nice when a venerated historical figure places himself on the right side of history.
I'll forward a scan for SDR to post.

Duncan

Post by Duncan »

SDR

Post by SDR »

"Orientals." Ouch again . . .

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I know that "Orientals" is one of those "never-utter" words, but considering that all it means is Eastern (we would Occidentals) I have never figured out why. A former co-worker of Japanese descent expressed her opinion. I asked her why she was opposed to the word, and she had no answer. A seemingly similar term, "Asian," seems to have no negative connotations, even though it covers 4.7 times as much territory and a plethora of ethnicities.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The vocabulary around race and ethnicity has many twists and turns---around the world, in any culture (or between any two cultures), I imagine. Just look at the changes in how African-Americans have been referred to, over the last century-and-a-half . . . Then there's "I can call myself that, but you'd better not . . .!" Fascinating . . .

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

The "O" word used in the news piece was an accepted ethnic descriptor in 1958, and indeed for a considerable time after.
My understanding of its fall from favor is that it implies a "one" or the "other" duality between the East (Oriental) and the West (Occidental), and with that, the possible implication that one is superior to the other. The term Asian achieves the goal of a descriptor without the implied (or not) judgment.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

But Asia includes Israel, Arabia, Armenia, all of the 'Stans' and even parts of non-Siberian Eastern Russia.
What you are saying is that all of these terms are defined by the people they refer to as good or bad, which makes the whole exercise kind of ridiculous, doesn't it? In the early 60s, the term 'black' was decreed the ONLY acceptable one, even though a few prominent persons objected. Ethel Waters, for instance, preferred the term 'colored,' which, in those days was anathema, while today, POC is an acceptable term, which means essentially the same. Josephine Baker said on The Merv Griffin Show, "I'm not black; I'm dark brown." To me, it seems like a lot of effort expended on a trifle for very little effect. In high school, I had an English teacher (who was probably English himself) who referred to me as a 'Scandihoovian.' I don't know where that came from, but it didn't matter to me one way or the other.

(By the way, I agree with Eichler: Any form of bigotry is inexcusable, even the 'Basket of Deplorables' type.)