Taliesin (WI) - Cost to fully restore

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tim

Taliesin (WI) - Cost to fully restore

Post by Tim »

Hello -

We toured Taliesin (WI) last week. My son asked me how much it would cost to fully restore Taliesin. What would that cost? I guessed $50M. That is about $1000 per ft2, and then rounding up. Are there any estimates on the matter or has anyone worked up a budget?

Thank you!
Last edited by Tim on Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Re: Taliesin East - Cost to fully restore

Post by SDR »

Let us agree to call it Taliesin---or Taliesin North, if a qualifier is really necessary. (Wasn't that Mr Wright's last published name for it, in "The Natural House" ?) And while we're at it, who was it who called the Wrights' suite at the Plaza in New York "Taliesin East" ?

S

Roderick Grant

Re: Taliesin East - Cost to fully restore

Post by Roderick Grant »

Taliesin is approximately 36,000 sf. There was an estimate many years ago of $50M. I have no idea how much restoration has been done so far, or how much it has cost. DD Martin cost ~$50M. I bet Taliesin could easily double that.

Perhaps "Spring Green" can chime in?

Tim

Re: Taliesin (WI) - Cost to fully restore

Post by Tim »

I removed "east". Fair enough!

Tim

Post by Tim »

$50M to $100M doesn't seem too far off the mark.

outside in

Post by outside in »

we'll never know, as the "model" for taliesin restoration involves a crew running around fixing things. A process that has no beginning and no end, without accountability for budgets, timetables or markers of progress. From a marketing prospective, there are no singular projects with a specific budget to raise money for, no fund-raising campaign and no celebration upon completion. Taliesin will never be restored using the current model.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Agreed.
Given that much of it was built on a shoestring budget by semi-skilled labor directed by an owner/architect who seemingly saw Taliesin in the later years as a full scale study model, how would one restore it? To its original state...what month or year? Using the original means and methods?...the house is now a World Heritage site...does one build to match, or instead for the ages using hidden steel and concrete where needed?
Has the great civil engineering puzzle of safely directing storm water from the hilltop around or under Taliesin been completed?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

One of those questions has been answered: The date for restoration is April 9, 1959,

To keep the ramshackle building standing, there will have to be hidden supports here and there. Hopefully such will be done adroitly, without being glaring about it. At Hollyhock, there are I-beams fully disclosed holding up the porch in Sugar Top's room, without apology. That sort of approach to 'restoration' grates on my nerves.