Article: Matthews House to be considered for NRHP

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.

SDR

Re: Article: Matthews House to be considered for NRHP

Post by SDR »

The Mathews house (odd spelling, yes) deserves more attention. It's a hidden gem, and vulnerable on its choice flat treed lot in pricy Atherton. Will it now be safe ?

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

I've seen it from the outside.
Very difficult to find photographs of this place if I recall correctly.
Wonder what the archives have on it?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Well, the Artstor archive has nothing, under the name of the client anyway, and I don't know of an alternate route. Odd . . .

The last time we addressed the house was in January, when I think we hadn't yet been alerted to the presence of the Artstor treasury:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4621

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Duncan. I have seen the set of prints at that size for the house; the current owner has been provided with a copy of the drawing set, which includes a few supplemental sheets by Aaron Green. Architect WJS, our Bill Schwarz, assumed the responsibility a couple of years back for getting the house properly re-roofed.

S

Duncan

Post by Duncan »

There is also this thread from a few years back....

viewtopic.php?t=7473

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks for that link. For those who are looking closely, I should point out that the color photo on that first page has been "flopped" accidentally by the publisher (Chronicle Books); the carport just out of sight at the right should be on the left side of the entrance.

S

pmahoney

Post by pmahoney »

Should be noted that this house was designed with an intricate roof shingle geometry, the same ridge details first used on the Baker house in 1909, then Taliesin and Graycliff. But at the Mathews house it was adapted to the 60 degree angles of the plan and the asymmetrical roof section. Each one of these making the execution much more difficult. This was not executed originally, but was finally realized under Bill Schwarz's direction just prior to the October 2016 conference. One of the most intricate roof's by Wright ever executed and now realized thanks to Bill and the current owners.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Pat forwards two of his photographs of the house, as employed for promotion of a 2018 event:

SDR

Post by SDR »

The dining table designed for the house was removed at some point; in typical Usonian fashion it was placed against, or fastened to, the masonry to the right of the fireplace (as viewed in Pat's photo).

Storrer's plan places a table connected to the screen wall which separates the workspace from the loggia. His plan is likely more accurate in other details, however. Perhaps on his visit he found the original table moved to the location he indicates ?

© 1993 by William Allin Storrer

jay

Post by jay »

Will it now be safe ?
I do wonder if the NRHP is a bit of a scarecrow... As in, a sign that says (implicitly) 'this property isn't worth the nuisance you'll have if you try to demolish it".... Because as I understand it, the NRHP provides no real protection:

"Listing in the National Register places neither restrictions nor requirements on a private property owner. You may do with the property as you wish, within the framework of local laws or ordinances. You are not required to maintain the property in any specific way; you may demolish the property without federal permission."

From: https://www.nps.gov/subjects/nationalregister/faqs.htm

juankbedoya

Post by juankbedoya »

This is one of those houses that I have researched but there is very few information and pictures. I'm intrigued with the resolution of the floor plan. Wright usually separates private and social areas but here you enter directly to the bedrooms wing, cross the workspace and dining room to finally arrive to the living room. Any idea of this route?