Lamberson House Restoration

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I've looked through all pages on this thread I was not able to find an extended discussion of the structural steel.
There is a brief mention in one of the early pages about the beam over the brick alcove at the end of the living room.
Reviewing the photographs: no exposed steel mullions - no surprise there, all cased out in wood.
So I wonder if I should presume that the typical sash detail on the prints shown here: are all bolted steel rectangles covered in wood?
They are large dimensioned casements, so maybe bolted steel frames were required.

The mullions between the casement windows contain structural steel T's.
These T's are capped at the bottom with a steel plate and rest on the sill of the low brick wall.
The detail does not show any connection between the mullion and the brick wall.
Of course the T's are welded to the beam above.

peterm

Post by peterm »

Tom- I’ll take some photos this weekend of the window details.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Cool Peterm - thanks.
These prints are really a very well executed set of drawings.

peterm

Re: Lamberson House Restoration

Post by peterm »

Bringing this forward.

peterm

Post by peterm »

New photos of Lamberson taken by Emilene Leone this weekend-
Notice the aerial photos in particular. I’ve always been curious as to what the birds see! She’s putting the drone to much better use than the usual illegal political assassination:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... 50VnBZRDFB

SDR

Post by SDR »

Oh, what a delicious environment ! You have really done her justice, Peter.

The last bedroom shot is particularly seductive. And it looks like you have the landscaping to the point of perfection. My sincerest congratulations, more deserved now than ever . . .

S

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

I'd never noticed the ceiling boards before. They seem wider than we usually see in a Wright house...and ship-lapped.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I've always known this as a plywood ceiling; photographer Leone has brought me the information that the pieces are narrower than one expects from that material. Perhaps a matter of scale ? One wonders . . .

What a gorgeous set of photos.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The bold yellow of the banquette upholstery is especially handsome. Sometimes the autumnal nature of color schemes in FLW houses is overdone. This is a perfect accent. I noticed that color used in the living room at the Arnold Friedman House; it "pops," as they say.

peterm

Post by peterm »

SDR and Matt- The ceiling, and all of the built in woodwork with the exception of cabinets, doors and shelves is 1/4” redwood plywood. The walls are 4’ by 6’8” hung vertically. Strips above the fascia move horizontally. The ceiling pieces are cut to 2’ by 8’ strips and lapped.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Over the passage near the kitchen, the lapped plywood makes a greater shadow line than would seem to result from lapped 1/4" plywood alone. Could it be that a filler strip was applied at the edge of some courses, to created that effect ? Or is that an illusion confined to the photograph ?

A greater mystery (for me) is found in the upper right corner of this photo https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM ... authuser=0

where the vertical joints between one or two pairs of ceiling boards appear as horizontal lines rather than ones following the ceiling pitch. Another view of the same portion of ceiling appears in the preceding image. What could account for this "impossible" anomaly ? Anyone ?

S

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Peter,
How do you deal with plowing a gravel driveway?

Great photos. You and Stafford have re-created a piece of art.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

peterm

Post by peterm »

Just saw this now, Paul.

Though we hire someone to do it a few times in the winter, here is some practical advice for plowing over gravel:

Go slow
Adjust the blade height a bit higher.
Turn off the radio and listen while you plow.
Start at the center.
Take multiple passes for heavy accumulation.

SDR- My guess is the “horizontal line illusion” us most likely the result of the wider angle of the lens? Let me see if I can find another similar photo.

I’m not sure what you’re seeing at the kitchen entrance other than shadow. That photo was taken early evening and the sun was quite low in the sky. A 1/4” lap might appear greater due to the shadows.
Last edited by peterm on Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Even though gravel is more difficult to deal with, it is worth it to avoid having blacktop ruin the approach to a beautiful house. Aesthetically, it is even better than good old concrete, which often doesn't age well. Gravel is eternal.

peterm

Post by peterm »

I’m very happy with the gravel. And with no downspouts it’s the best way to go. The only downside is dust tracked into the house.