Original Storrer Lamp at Auction?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Craig

Original Storrer Lamp at Auction?

Post by Craig »

ch

DRN

Post by DRN »

The 4th lot, a stool from LeCorbusier's Unite d'habitation is one I hadn't seen before, nor was I aware he designed movable furniture for the housing block. The piece seems more akin to LC's Cabanon.

stool:
https://www.wright20.com/auctions/2016/ ... terworks/4

Cabanon:
http://www.fondationlecorbusier.fr/Corb ... 25.jpg?r=0

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

That's probably correct, but FLW used the same design for both Storer and Freeman, so it could be either.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Might this be the floor lamp Harriet Freeman gave to a reporter who interviewed her? This displeased the people at USC, who were by then the real owners. She said that it was "only Lloyd Wright", which might be technically true even if it counts for the record as one of Frank's designs.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Interesting. Are there other pieces for Freeman (or Storrer) that are known to be Lloyd's work ?

This lamp appears to be in perfect condition. Perhaps it's been restored. I have four photos of the lamps in either the Storrer or Freeman houses (two in each residence); earlier photos at Freeman, later photos at Storrer. One lamp (in a book which doesn't identify its provenance) is bent in two places, another is gently curved.

I wonder if it can be determined how many were made altogether, and by whom.

SDR

Unbrook

Storrer Lamp

Post by Unbrook »

I saw this online today and had questions. The provenance is John Storrer to Joel Silver with mention made of a Freeman house origin. The lamp seems so unlike what I have seen designed by Wright. And it is a little tame for Lloyd Jr.
The form of a floor lamp seems odd. How was it used? I think it is a great look. Probably much in this Auction will go over the estimate.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The piece is a floor lamp. It is definitely associated with both the Storrer and Freeman houses; each house had at least a pair of them. The cube marks it as something from Wright's hand, I'd say -- not that he had exclusive use of that form ! The skinny parallel lines we see in some of his glass designs.

No matter how heavy that base is, the glass has weight as well; the lamp is destined to be easily knocked over -- no doubt accounting for the damaged ones we see.

I'll post the photos I have found.

SDR

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Does this mean Silver is now starting to put some of his Wright items up for sale?

There was that article a couple of years back about his financial situation being rather tenuous....

David

SDR

Post by SDR »

I've given the date of publication of these photos -- for what that may be worth.

Published 1985

Sweeney, 1994 Freeman, Wright's furniture

Futagawa, 1975 Freeman, Schindler's furniture

Zimmerman, 1988/1994 Storer

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The design of the lamp is part of the complete set of Freeman drawings that I have. It's definitely a Frank, not a Lloyd.

The ones I saw in Freeman in the 70s were, indeed, a bit unsteady, but they are wonderful designs. What difference does a slight wobble make? Floor lamps are as difficult a design problem as chairs. Some of FLW's, like the ones at Northome, are not totally convincing, but the Freeman/Storer lamp is a masterpiece.

Rudder

Re: Original Storrer Lamp at Auction?

Post by Rudder »

If you look carefully even the pull on the chain is a cube! Consistency.

Joel had a pair of obvious reproductions on the ground floor (heavy black metal ones) but the originals were there too including sconces.

And it’s Storer everyone not Storrer.

Rudder

Re:

Post by Rudder »

DavidC wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:32 pm
Does this mean Silver is now starting to put some of his Wright items up for sale?

There was that article a couple of years back about his financial situation being rather tenuous....

David
Joel didn’t keep any of the lamps. When he sold the Storer the new owner made a separate deal to buy back all the lamps which Joel had removed from the house.