Harold Turner

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
cmtalley

Re: Harold Turner

Post by cmtalley »

I have photographed all of them! Unfortunately, these houses are surrounded by lush and mature landscaping, and, as such, many photos are partially or almost totally obscured by topography and vegetation. Some homeowners got back to me (they all received a letter) and provided additional photos or granted me permission to walk the property to get better pictures. But, overall, these houses need to be photographed by a professional because my iPhone pictures don't do them justice! I have also scoured the internet and have downloaded and saved images of all known Turner houses so I have all the old Zillow photos, etc. I have drawings for a few but, again, I have cell phone images of the drawings so....not ideal. As a part of the survey, one of my primary recommendations (to nobody since this is a school project, not a project commissioned by a city or other municipality) is the gather and digitize all archival material.

SWSinDC

Post by SWSinDC »

I don't believe that I have ever seen a photograph of Mr. Turner himself. Does anyone have one?

cmtalley

Post by cmtalley »

If anyone is interested in reading the final report, it is currently hosted online here. This was completed as a final project for my M.S. degree in Historic Preservation--typically surveys are commissioned by municipalities and are utilized as a planning tool so there is a lot of information/maps about the specific areas where these houses are located but there is also lots of information about Harold Turner, his life, and the houses he built.

https://www.bloomfieldhistoricalsociety ... -FINAL.pdf

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Thank you, Cassandra, for taking the time to post your work here. You've done a terrific job of researching Harold Turner and his work - all in such a relatively very short period of time, too! Turner did some beautiful work - and it's wonderful that you have now gathered, collated, and expanded upon the minimal knowledge that had existed. Congratulations on all you have accomplished!

One slight correction, if I may. On page 72 you list the 'Newman House' as being "...possibly designed by Harold Turner or it may be a Frank Lloyd Wright design." There is no question that the house at 4565 Hawthorne Ln, Okemos, MI 48864 most definitely is not a Frank Lloyd Wright design.

David

John

Post by John »

What an excellent body of work! This is obviously a labor of love with you. The research that went into this publication is astonishing. Thank you for doing it.
Wish I had been aware of it last week when I was in Michigan!

John

Post by John »

SWSinDC wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:43 am
I don't believe that I have ever seen a photograph of Mr. Turner himself. Does anyone have one?
They are in the report.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Sometimes real estate soundtrack is as bad as the photography. Mute before watching.
Very handsome house. I would like to see more of it, with a plan. The only thing I dislike about it is the finish on the wood walls, which have a glow about them that reminds me of my old bedroom with 12" knotty pine walls and ceiling finished with PenChrome, which practically glowed in the dark. I assume the finish was a later alteration?