Article: "The Ultimate Guide to Frank Lloyd Wright"

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Article: "The Ultimate Guide to Frank Lloyd Wright"

Post by DavidC »

SDR

Re: Article: "The Ultimate Guide to Frank Lloyd Wright"

Post by SDR »

That's handy: Dwell collects its own Wright stories and presents them as a group.

This sentence, near the beginning of their introduction; caught my eye:

"Today, his impact continues because of his enduring design philosophies and formal teachings."

Unless I'm mistaken, one effort Mr Wright cannot be credited with, or accused of, is "formal teaching(s)." Although the concept of "school" was a part of the initial and unrealized concept for an "industrial style center" and School of the Allied Arts, it was not mentioned in the less ambitious announcement of the Fellowship program that followed. He certainly did not formalize the education he offered to his apprentices with classroom work, reading lists, slide lectures, essay assignments or examinations. Rather, he taught by example, and by engaging them in the work of drawing, and building.

https://franklloydwright.org/the-taliesin-fellowship/

I am still waiting to be shown evidence, reportedly found in his will if not written or spoken of first, that he intended a school to be established or maintained in his name. Indeed I believe it can be shown that this might be the last thing he would be likely to contemplate or encourage. Even a continuation of his practice might have irked or offended him---much as it might seem the likely or proper thing to do, by his widow and his remaining employees and apprentices . . .?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I agree. Lay it all on Olga.

Tom

Post by Tom »

I agree too RG - although I know nothing (very little) about Olga.

... and though I agree with what SDR says - an accredited school of architecture at either or both Taleisin's doesn't strike me as a stupid idea. What architect would not jump at the chance to live at one of those places and teach a studio for a semester or a year? No reason, except for an outdated dogma of adhering strictly to organic principles, that it coudn't be one of the most dynamic architectural schools on the planet. You could get a constantly evolving international faculty at the drop of a hat.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Can you say that this didn't happen at the school, such as it was, in the past ? If not, why not ? Let's look at the history to date, before prescribing for the future ?

Olga ? Who said anything about Olgivanna, in this regard ?

S

Rood

Post by Rood »

SDR wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:48 pm

https://franklloydwright.org/the-taliesin-fellowship/

I am still waiting to be shown evidence, reportedly found in his will if not written or spoken of first, that he intended a school to be established or maintained in his name. Indeed I believe it can be shown that this might be the last thing he would be likely to contemplate or encourage. Even a continuation of his practice might have irked or offended him---much as it might seem the likely or proper thing to do, by his widow and his remaining employees and apprentices . . .?S
It's impossible for me to recall exactly where I read Mr. Wright's statement about the future of the Fellowship, because it was while he was still alive ... probably in a magazine article ... LIFE, ARCHITECTURAL FORUM ... or the like, but if my memory serves ... when asked about the future ... he said something to the effect that "... 50 years would be enough." Thnking about it ... it might even have been in a newspaper article.

Perhaps some wily sleuth with time on his hands might search for every interview Mr. Wright ever gave in the last few years of his life ... Takers?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Now that does ring a bell. But what was he saying---that the practice could live on for a while ? The Fellowship ? A school ?

I was able to search Curtis Besinger's book the other day, for a single term, after finding a PDF of the book, online. Now we need to see all of Wright---every word in print---in a searchable format.

S