Game of Thrones

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tom

Game of Thrones

Post by Tom »

I searched Wright Chat and found only one reference to GOT.
Has there been no discussion here about it - that doesn't seem likely, but maybe not.
The influence of Wright on the set design for the interiors of the central pyramid in the city of Meereen is direct and really good.

I've got shots but having trouble posting images.

SDR

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by SDR »

Tom

Post by Tom »

Yep - the interiors.
I've got screenshots. I converted them to .jpg's but that would not appear when I tried to insert them in the image posting icon here.
I could send them to you - or - I could send them to my Flickr account and post links to that, but it's preferable to have them appear immediately here. Or tell me how you post images directly to these threads. Dorn told me how once but I lost those instructions.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sea ... tion=click

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Even though I admire Peter Dinklage, I have never been sucked into GOT.

The pyramid interiors are derived less from FLW than Palenque.

Tom

Post by Tom »

For me, Dinklages' character and performance is the best thing about GOT along side the set and production design.
The set/production work from Deborah Riley is really good (former architecture student who acknowledges the textile block work of Wright as one of the sources as well as the Mayan in GOT).
If you've got HBO it's worth a look. You can always fast forward through the prolonged * and gore scenes which get laborious, burdensome, and depressing after the bizillionth time. Castle Dragonstone is my "fave" as the kids say.
* s e x

Craig

Post by Craig »

Funny you mention this. I have finally gotten around to GOT (personally I find it great story telling) and I was struck by the resemblance of the Meereen castle (or pyramid) to the Ennis house. I was particularly pleased to see that Ms. Riley referenced the original window pattern Wright designed for Ennis but were rejected by the client.
ch

Tom

Post by Tom »

Craig - can you point me to your source for Riley's reference please.

SDR

Post by SDR »

As I never tire of explaining, to post images at Wright Chat requires the intermediary of a Web host, a commercial entity which offers to store a copy of your photo that has been given a unique Web address which, when entered in the right place here, will result in the image appearing on the "page."

I was amused and largely pleased to see, a few years ago now, someone using the tools at Minecraft to model one or more of Wright's LA houses---surely a more appropriate use of a proprietary tool or product to render Wright than, for instance, Lego . . .?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xevL6rhu60Q

Craig

Post by Craig »

In your first photo, the windows above the chandelier are evocative (at least to my eyes) of those Wright intended for Ennis, not the stained glass patterns that were substituted.
ch

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

It's also reminiscent of the school in Tokyo;

http://pc.blogspot.com/2010/05/jiyu-gak ... lloyd.html

SDR

Post by SDR »

Everyone's entitled to play architect without benefit of training or experience. The results however shouldn't be taken as more than they could be under the circumstances. Look at those clear decorated windows Craig mentions: while the patterns are indeed reminiscent of ones drawn by Mr Wright, notice that the divisions do not in fact create separate panes of glass but instead often stop in mid-air (or mid-glass). At a larger scale, rooms seem composed of separate details that don't always speak to each other or respect a coherent theme.

At a larger scale still, this scene https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8f/2b/0e ... d6512e.png could be compared to any number of cities, ancient or new, designed all of a piece like Brasilia, or naturally accreting as is the case with most urban centers on the planet. This digital collection of structures reads like just that: the contents of some 3-D modelers warehouse, the separate objects scattered like granite monuments in a giant cemetery, one with no clear overall design (other than a monotony of material) or even a road system serving the individual structures and suggesting some overall plan or evolution of civic form. As a result, it simply doesn't look like a real place---does it ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Brasilia and Chandigarh are proof that the "all of a piece" approach to city planning is a failure. Both cities, as originally built, should have been blasted off the planet. I'm sure that, over the years, people with their messiness, have given both places a patina that has soften them, but still.... The principal thing wrong with Brasilia is its locale in the Amazon, where no urbanization belongs. Of course, that is fast becoming impossible to correct.

Ancient cities like Angkor Wat, Palenque and Thebes may have got it right, but they were all cities dedicated primarily to religion, which would simply not do anymore.

SDR

Post by SDR »

On slightly smaller scale, and with a more secular purpose, what is to be said about Machu Picchu, or Hadrian's Villla, or the FSC campus ? Is it not possible to contrive an organic site plan more workable and rewarding than those you mention ?

S

Rood

Post by Rood »

Roderick Grant wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:41 pm
Brasilia and Chandigarh are proof that the "all of a piece" approach to city planning is a failure. Both cities, as originally built, should have been blasted off the planet. I'm sure that, over the years, people with their messiness, have given both places a patina that has soften them, but still.... The principal thing wrong with Brasilia is its locale in the Amazon, where no urbanization belongs. Of course, that is fast becoming impossible to correct.

Ancient cities like Angkor Wat, Palenque and Thebes may have got it right, but they were all cities dedicated primarily to religion, which would simply not do anymore.
Though I'm in no way defending either the design of Brazilia or the buildings constructed in the city.... Brazilia is NOT located in the Amazon.

"The city is located at the top of the Brazilian highlands in the country's center-western region at an elevation of 3,845 feet.

"Paranoá Lake, a large artificial lake, was built to increase the amount of water available and to maintain the region's humidity. It has a marina, and hosts wakeboarders and windsurfers. Diving can also be practiced and one of the main attractions is Vila Amaury, an old village submerged in the lake. This is where the first construction workers of Brasilia used to live.

"Climate
Brasilia has a tropical savanna climate (Aw, according to the Köppen climate classification), milder due to the elevation and with two distinct seasons: the rainy season, from October to April, and the dry season, from May to September.[24] The average temperature is 21.0 °C (69.8 °F).[25] September, at the end of the dry season, has the highest average maximum temperature, 28.4 °C (83.1 °F), and July has major and minor lower maximum average temperature, of 25.1 °C (77.2 °F) and 12.9 °C (55.2 °F), respectively.[25] Average temperatures from September through March are a consistent 22 °C (72 °F).[25] With 241.5 mm (9.5 in), December is the month with the highest rainfall of the year, while June is the lowest, with only 4.9 mm (0.2 in).[25] During the dry season, the city can have very low relative humidity levels, often below 30%.
"According to Brazilian National Institute of Meteorology (INMET), the record low temperature was 1.6 °C (34.9 °F) on July 18, 1975, and the record high was 36.4 °C (97.5 °F) on October 18, 2015 [27] and October 8, 2020.[25][28] The highest accumulated rainfall in 24 hours was 132.8 mm (5.2 in) on November 15, 1963."

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Rood, 60 years ago, as Brasilia was evolving, there were many scathing articles written about it, which obviously got a lot of details wrong. It was characterized as being in the hot, humid jungle, deliberately located far enough away from Rio to encourage the population to move inland, rather than staying close to the coast. I don't know to what extent that worked, however. Both the layout of the city and its location came in for disparagement. Most of Niemeyer's architecture was spared, however. Of course, periodicals relish attacking rather than praising. I recall a review of Peggy Lee's opening at Basin Street East. He lamented that it was difficult to review her work, because he could never find any flaws in it.