Palmer Site

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tom

Palmer Site

Post by Tom »

Roderick Grant

Re: Palmer Site

Post by Roderick Grant »

"Wrightscapes, FLW's Landscape Designs" by Charles E. and Berdeana Aguar covers the Palmer siting on pp 298-303.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Roderick, do you remember what the Aguar's said about why the siting was changed?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Tom, your illustrations seem to have more to do with roof structure than with siting. What do we have that shows a re-thinking of the siting ?

Granted, the illustration you link to seems to show a steeper site condition than do photos of the completed house. If Mr Wright (or someone else) moved the house to a less precipitous part of the site, it wouldn't be the first time. More than a few other houses were shown in presentation drawings as situated more dramatically than as built . . .

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Ha!
I think Roderick is right.
We have to go to Aguar for that.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Once Roderick provides a citation, that's it; we are expected to find the identical reference and proceed from there. No shortcuts at Wright Chat, please !

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Both site conditions and sunlight were reasons the Palmers chose to swing the house ~90 degrees counterclockwise, so the point of the living room aims ENE instead of just east of south. As originally planned, the driveway was several times longer than as-built. The location of the house was also moved northward to the highest point on the property, which accounts for the cascade of 12 steps up to the front door. The new location also freed up a considerable amount of the L-shaped lot for the garden that the Palmers wanted. Withal, the as-built orientation is superior to FLW's choice.

Duncan

Post by Duncan »

If someone will tell me how to post the pages from Aguar I will

SDR

Post by SDR »

Most interesting. Other perhaps than the climb to the entry---which must have its own charms, including the anticipation of what lies ahead for the visitor balancing the labor of the ascent---the siting seems most Wrightian, not least because the bedroom wing is partially submerged into the soil, the roof nearly touching the ground at one point ?

As Wright Chat does not host images that are posted here, it is up to the user to provide the necessary online host, an indispensable element in the process. To spare readers the exercise of finding and securing a host, I offer to post images by adding them to my Yahoo Small Business Web Host account, which produces a unique URL for each image. I can then provide that URL to the Wright Chat user, or I can post the image(s) here myself.

You have only to email me your images for this to be accomplished. My email address is available by clicking on SDR on any of my posts . . .

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The climb to the entry is not onerous, as photographs in Grant Hildebrand's book and Weintraub/Hess's MCM book show. The treads are wide and the risers only a brick and a half high, about 4".

SDR

Post by SDR »

Duncan generously provides pages from the Aguar's book "Wrightscapes":

Material © 2002 by McGraw-Hill and by Charles and Berdeana Aguar