My book on Paul Hayden Kirk is finally done!

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Matt2

My book on Paul Hayden Kirk is finally done!

Post by Matt2 »

Paul Kirk is the unsung hero of mid-century architecture in the Pacific Northwest. For some reason, no one up here in Seattle writes about local architects, so I decided to do something about it. The result is the first book on Kirk, who set the bar for residential design in the post-war decades. It's my attempt to give back to the architectural cosmos for all the pleasure I've gotten from looking at really cool buildings.

www.PaulHaydenKirk.com

SDR

Re: My book on Paul Hayden Kirk is finally done!

Post by SDR »

That's good news !

A taste of Kirk's institutional work . . .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/evandagan ... otostream/

S

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Kirk wasn't know for his institutional work and those photos of McMahon Dorm at the University of Washington are an example why. The codes of the time, and the preferences of Minoru Yamasaki who headed up the campus architecture planning committee, all but required the use of concrete. Like a lot of brutalism of the era, it doesn't hold up well, but is better than some other campus buildings of the era.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I like what I see of that building. The precast elements are visibly stacked and invisibly connected, in a satisfactory way. Check out the wild balcony railing detail !

S

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

He was most known for his wood buildings, and you can see in McMahon a sort of dovetail joint to the balconies...rendered in concrete. The forms for the concrete also had varied strips of wood in them so the cast concrete resembled the wood siding he often used in his residential designs. He prioritized light and even in a big building like this he varied the floorplan so that windows weren't all facing the same direction. Those big lanterns on the patio bring light into the dining hall below.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Well, I look forward to receiving my copy. Thanks for your effort; without someone like yourself stepping up to the proverbial plate, we would be left in the dark about yet another worthy architectural also-ran . . .

S

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Thanks for the order. The work of the Pacific Northwest is very undocumented...unlike Southern California where there are so many books on so many architects. I was spoiled in SoCal where there were always exhibitions, lectures, new books, and architecture tours going on. The audience of architecture lovers was very well-fed in SoCal, but is malnourished in Seattle. Hopefully others will contribute more books on the architects of the upper left corner.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

(An aside: For a look at a little-known work by Yamasaki, go to Olin Hall on the campus of Carlton College in Northfield, MN.)