Alsop house news

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Re: Alsop house news

Post by DavidC »

It's good to see you, Peter.

The video is very well done. It both shows the house and tells of its history, quite well.

David

DRN

Post by DRN »

Great video!!
It illustrates the house well, and highlights it’s unique details. The inclusion of the bit of history that the Alsop and Lamberson houses are literally sisters was a nice touch.

Please reach out Eric or John at the Conservancy to get this video linked from the Wright on the Market listing.

peterm

Post by peterm »

I already did.

Glad you liked it, Dan!

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I was surprised to see that the house is in better condition than some reports implied.

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

I understand they are taking offers. So what is a fair estimate on the value of the house?

peterm

Post by peterm »

The actual final offers will determine that.

I suppose I can say that things are moving in the direction of 500,000, which is still a bargain for a Wright house of this quality, size and importance.

The living room is huge. The furniture alone is worth well over 100k at auction, assuming someone would be so ruthless and cruel to remove it from its world.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The floor lights are a unique detail, aren't they. Two of them, in the far corners of the living room, appear on the floor plan. I wonder what is unusual in this instance that inspired them ? Perhaps the slope of the ceiling, and the lack of a light deck above the living-room windows, presented an opportunity for reflected light coming from below ?

S

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Thanks. I was wondering how it compared to other homes in the area. Nice video BTW and informative. I didn't know the two homes were commissioned and built at the same time. And that 5 foot module is interesting as I always feels Wright's homes can be a bit tight and would benefit from scaling up a bit. It would be interesting to experience that 5-foot module.

DRN

Post by DRN »

The floor lights are a unique detail, aren't they. Two of them, in the far corners of the living room, appear on the floor plan. I wonder what is unusual in this instance that inspired them ? Perhaps the slope of the ceiling, and the lack of a light deck above the living-room windows, presented an opportunity for reflected light coming from below ?
Wright liked indirect lighting, period. His glazed gable or glazed shed roof houses have the quality of being lantern-like at dusk or in the night when lighted from below. Here at Sweeton, up/down lights were set into a small deck along the outer face of the masonry mass. The dining space is only 10' wide, so presumably no additional light was needed at the outer edges of the room to achieve the effect. The Alsop rooms are considerably larger...if Wright didn't want to interrupt the window wall with lights or a deck, the only alternative would be to set lighting either in built-ins below the window sill, or the floor.

I'll send a couple of pics to SDR relative to the analogous situation at Sweeton.

pmahoney

Post by pmahoney »

My recollection is that the Willis Hughes residence in Jackson, Ms also has in-floor uplights,

DRN

Post by DRN »

Not inside a building, but the driveway bridge at Fallingwater has in-slab up lights as well.

Rood

Post by Rood »

DRN wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:26 am
Wright liked indirect lighting, period. His glazed gable or glazed shed roof houses have the quality of being lantern-like at dusk or in the night when lighted from below. Here at Sweeton, up/down lights were set into a small deck along the outer face of the masonry mass. The dining space is only 10' wide, so presumably no additional light was needed at the outer edges of the room to achieve the effect. The Alsop rooms are considerably larger...if Wright didn't want to interrupt the window wall with lights or a deck, the only alternative would be to set lighting either in built-ins below the window sill, or the floor. I'll send a couple of pics to SDR relative to the analogous situation at Sweeton.
Four similar floor lights are found in the original theatre at Taliesin West.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Dan sent these photos of Sweeton:

Paul Ringstrom

Re: Alsop house headed to auction

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond