Annie Pfeiffer Chapel cement block?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
andreaslarsson

Annie Pfeiffer Chapel cement block?

Post by andreaslarsson »

Found this in my yard of a house I just purchased. The house is an Architectural built and owned house here in Sierra Madre California.
Anyone would know more about the authenticity of this block that looks like it came from the Pfeiffer Chapel?

Andreas

Here is a links to images:

https://prnt.sc/12xs3jk
https://prnt.sc/12xs3n2
https://prnt.sc/12xs7ie
Last edited by andreaslarsson on Fri May 14, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

SDR

Re: Annie Pfeiffer Chapel cement block?

Post by SDR »

E-mail me your photo so it can be displayed here, Andreas.

S

RachelAvery

Post by RachelAvery »

You can use prnt.sc and post your link here.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Here is Andreas's photo.

Here is a Wright Chat thread discussing FSC blocks. The issue of depth is raised; were certain walls built with the double-wythe Usonian Automatic block system ? Were other blocks full depth ? Andreas, perhaps you could provide measurements, including thickness, of your block, and perhaps a photo of an edge and of the back of the block ?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7876

Now, perhaps you could tell us a little about your house. If the property was previously owned by an architect, that might explain the presence of an historic architectural artifact, presumably transported across the continent at some point---assuming that the block came from Florida ?

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

More photos of Andreas's block, and Taliesin drawings showing various aspects of the standard perforated block.

drawings © The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation Archives (The Museum of Modern Art | Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, New York)

andreaslarsson

Post by andreaslarsson »

Thank you for helping posting the images and for sharing the drawing.

The House I purchased was designed by Architect John/Jack Corey for his parents in 1954 and later he moved in and lived in there up to a few weeks ago.

He's still around and I will try to track him down and ask him how he got his hands on this block, I'm sure there is a interesting story to it.

Andreas