Alsop house news

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
peterm

Alsop house news

Post by peterm »

It is with great sadness that I share the news that Gordon Bolinger, the owner of the Alsop house here in Oskaloosa, Ia. passed away two days ago.

His sister has decided to sell the house including all of Wright’s original furniture, which is in excellent condition. The Alsop and Lamberson houses were both designed in 1948, completed in 1951, with construction overseen by apprentice Johnny Hill.

Won’t you be my neighbor?
Last edited by peterm on Wed May 05, 2021 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Re: Alsop house news

Post by SDR »

I would like that.

Here are images of the property, mostly from the Artstor file except where larger scans were available from print sources.

https://library.artstor.org/#/search/Wr ... =1;size=48

Unusual bathroom mirror cabinet . . .

DRN

Post by DRN »

I’m very sorry to hear of Gordon’s passing.

Peter, please let Gordon’s sister know that the FLWBC is here to provide guidance and assistance with Wright on the Market in the task to find a new preservation minded owner/steward to continue her brother’s efforts and care for the house.

peterm

Post by peterm »

I have, and she’s very interested in that. I would imagine she will be contacting soon.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Text from Monograph 7:

W A Storrer's description of the commission:

SDR

Post by SDR »

The plan as drawn provided for one bedroom to start, with a smaller space marked "Help or Sewing"; a future second bedroom and master suite were indicated. Clearly the house was built with that addition integrated into the plan; the childrens' bedrooms were now placed together, with a bath helpfully separating them from the master bedroom. On the bedroom millwork sheet this final plan is shown, with the spare room now marked "Nursery." Storrer's plan is likely incorrect. His comment about a 9-inch concrete mat is mysterious. On the Taliesin plan a partial basement has been erased.

The kitchen is not provided with a window, just a generous skylight---despite there being a convenient outside wall where a window could have been centered if desired. But this would have spoiled the northeast elevation . . .

The construction specs call for hefty steel Ts as window mullions; the detail sheet shows wood. Sash hinges are uniquely canted, in plan . . .

Section drawings show the usual doubling of roof pitch, from one side of the ridge(s) to the other; here it is 3 1/2 in 12 and 7 in 12. The penetration of living space by three hefty roof rafters is a rarity in Wright. Two different seat pitches are shown on different drawings.

Drawings © The Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation Archives (The Museum of Modern Art | Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library, Columbia University, New York)

pmahoney

Post by pmahoney »

The late owner told me that the floor slab is 9” deep, a structural mat that spans the building. It has sunk on the window wall side of the house due to actions by a prior owner.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

I was told that all the original custom wood windows were replaced with Pella windows and that the fireplace flues were filled with concrete.

Please correct me if this is inaccurate.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

pmahoney

Post by pmahoney »

I was told that the original single pane windows were removed, stored in a shed and replaced with Pella windows by the prior owner. I am not aware of the condition of the fireplaces.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Stafford Norris kindly supplies this piece from the Des Moines Register for Saturday, February 25, 1995:

peterm

Post by peterm »

The windows were definitely replaced with vinyl Pella windows. I don’t recall Gordon mentioning concrete in the fireplaces.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Although there are earlier Wright Chat threads discussing Alsop, here is the first one that goes into the house in some detail.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3137&hilit=alsop

Who can update us on the condition of the slab ? What repairs if any were made to it ? Is there more to do to ?

I'm intrigued by the unusually thick mat---almost three times the normal thickness for a Usonian. What was the impetus for that ?

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

I was told that the radiant floor does not work. It would require that the 9 inch slab be removed and replaced with new technology to restore the radiant heat.

Also, I heard that there are two all cash offers on the home.

Realtor.com estimates value at $202K, and Zillow estimates at $195K. It will be interesting to see what it sells for.

the property at 1907 A Ave E, Oskaloosa, IA 52577 has approximately 2,281 square feet, 3 beds and 2 baths with a lot size of 1.7 acres. Nearby schools include Oskaloosa Elementary School, Oskaloosa Middle School and Oskaloosa High School.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

peterm

Post by peterm »

The house actually has 4 bedrooms, but the smallest one closest to the kitchen has no closet. It would function more as an office, nursery or media room.

It’s true that there are a few offers already.