Monograph set with annotations by Howe

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
JChoate

Monograph set with annotations by Howe

Post by JChoate »

Look at the text in this description -- it's a set of monographs where Jack Howe hand wrote notes about which apprentices did which drawings.
It seems like potentially valuable info for scholars

DRN

Post by DRN »

Priceless.
I'd like to see a second edition made with JHH's notations.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes. In the meantime -- who can we prevail upon to purchase this set ?

Page 20, Mono 5:

Could this be the "#28 in 1937" mentioned ?

Who sold this to Alcuin Books ? Pfeiffer himself ?

SDR

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Since it was stated in the "Item Description" that Howe client William Krebes purchased the set and then had Howe notate it, the best guess might be that it came from his estate?

David

SDR

Post by SDR »

Ah -- of course.

Redleaf's living room is illustrated on pages 10 and 149 in "John H Howe, Architect"; this seems to be the extent of coverage of the house for this important friend and client. Krebes, another WWII conscientious objector, met Howe as a student in his furniture design class at Sandstone, the Federal Correctional Institute. Other Krebes commissions are examined in the book as well . . .

SDR

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

SDR, I bet you're right about the Rehbuhn drawing. It looks like FLW wielded the pink pearl with gusto. In particular, it looks like the living room trellis got the once over. The foliage also looks a little worse for wear. I wonder what led to the lower left corner being removed.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Who did which drawings is valuable information (which I thought we already had, at least for the familiar ones from the Fellowship period). Even more valuable would be what Howe could have told us about who played what part in the design of the buildings.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

There are two photos of the Krebes House living room in Hession and Quigley's book on Jack, pp 10 and 149. Exquisite, tidy design.

Knowing who did the drawings is interesting, but forking over 10 grand is a bit much. A lot of that information is included in Geiger's archive, much of which he got from Besinger, as good a source as Howe. Some delineators, such as Howe, Besinger and Davison, are obvious at a glance.

The Rebhuhn House drawing is typical FLW, especially the landscaping.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Ah -- but how accessible is Geiger ?

No one in Wright's drafting room(s) could know more about the drawings than Howe: he was present continuously from 1932 to 1959 and beyond -- absent only for three years (1943-46) at Sandstone. Besinger was there, on and off, from 1939 to 1955.

Attribution continues to vex. This set of Monographs is a priceless resource . . .

SDR

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

When I was looking at the webpage for the monographs in question, I saw that they are being offered by a bookseller located in Scottsdale, which is ironically close to T West (former location of the Wright archives).

Now that the FLW archives are mostly at Columbia University, I would think Columbia would be able to afford to add these Howe-annotated books to their collection so as to capture all that information alongside the mother lode. That's what makes sense to me.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Anything but to have them disappear again into a private collection . . .

SDR

DRN

Post by DRN »

Or worse, to be split up and sold anonymously when the seller tires of no movement of the lot for sale.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Forget the 10 grand. Just give me an hour with the set and I'll photograph all the annotated drawings. It's the information that's important to preserve. Didn't Geiger have...I think...Bessinger annotate a document in the same way?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Certainly. My wish would be only to have access to the set long enough for those photos to be secured.

I have only two of the volumes -- and they have suffered at my hand, in sharing contents here:

So, clearly I should't be entrusted with a pristine set !

SDR