Larkin Administration Building visuals

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

The image is controlled by the location of the (real or imaginary) photographer.

Whatever its source, we find the photograph serving the purposes of the architect again, in 1929. Note that the carefully-
composed fence is largely deleted, to reveal more of the building. Something of the composition is lost . . .

ImageImage

I have labeled this image "LarkinKlumb" in my file, but in fact it was drawn by Takehiko Okami, one of the architects/drafters present at the Ocotillo
Camp. On a winter day in 1929 at the Taliesin North studio (according to Klumb, quoted in Tafel's "About Wright," pp 99-102) the men were chewing
over the fact that Wright wasn't getting through to the International Style boys, and what could be done about it. Klumb suggested that Wright's
"delicate renderings" could be "reduced . . to two-dimensional black on white presentations that modern architects were addicted to. His answer:
"DO IT." Okumi and I went to work and produced several, including the Robie House (drawn by myself), the Winslow House, Yahara Boat Club,
Bock Atelier, Unity Temple, and the Larkin Building. All were drawn in ink on roll-up window shades. The result was that even the stark graphic black
on white surface presentations did not produce a two-dimensional effect; rather they emphasized the depth of his poetry and the power of the third
dimension. Nothing that international architecture had to show could equal it."

SDR

SDR

Post by SDR »

I do like the little bit of bright-reflected sky, in a window in front of the entry facade, in the old photograph. This little trapezoid carries the line of the roof
of said entry wing into the block of the main building, in a way we just have to know Wright would applaud . . .

S

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

David

Post by David »

Interesting approach:

https://www.citylab.com/design/2019/04/ ... by/588187/

“It would be interesting to go to the site [of where its remains are buried] and see if something sculptural could come out of it. … "

Tom

Post by Tom »

David - you gotta check out the 'Heritage Auction Site' thread.
Paul V Palmer House is calling your name.