Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Larkin Administration Building visuals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recliner for the William Martin house:

https://fineart.ha.com/itm/furniture/american/frank-lloyd-wrightan-oak-reclining-armchair-designed-for-the-william-e-martin-house-oak-park-illinois-circa-190228/a/5032-74081.s
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating. So much beautiful quarter-sawn oak !

I continue to believe that what Mr Wright said about sitting is implicit in many if not all of his chairs: "My early approach to the chair was something between contempt and desperation. Because I believe sitting to be in itself an unfortunate necessity not yet quite elegant [If not after two millenia of human domestication, when did he suppose that sitting would finally become "elegant" ?], I do not yet believe in any such thing as a "natural" chair for an unnatural posture. The only attractive posture of relaxation is that of reclining."

This was written in the 'fifties and published in "The Natural House" (p 170). It raises the question, for me, of how an architect of six decades' experience in domestic architecture can have committed dozens of chairs to paper and to material while not believing in the function for which he was designing.

The question occurs to me on this occasion because both lounge chairs seen here have dead-level seats, while their backs recline to a considerable degree -- thus inevitably inducing the unfortunate sitter to slide forward until his back is flat on the seat and his legs splayed on the floor. Even the inclusion of an ottoman or footstool can't correct this basic ergonomic mistake.

But why would we expect otherwise, from an architect who disparages the very act of sitting ? Let's continue with the above quotation: "So I think the ideal chair is one which would allow the would-be "sitter" to gracefully recline." Too bad these two recliners deny the user of even that limited objective . . .

Compare them to the typical "mission" or Craftsman recliner of the day, which derives from William Morris if not from earlier examples. These chairs all have seats which slope down from their front edges, thus keeping the derriere in place as the center of gravity of the sitter moves rearward. For Wright, the imperative of style -- geometric purity, the aesthetic convenience of the horizontal line -- takes precedence over notions of comfort of which he may be blissfully unaware, or to which he is simply indifferent.

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That isn't so, SDR; the Morris chair had a dead flat seat as well. Only the back was adjustable. To recline in a Morris chair, it was necessary to get up, walk behind the chair, move a stick against which the back rested to the desired set of pegs on the arms to change the angle. The only hinged piece was the back. No rest for the calves.

What Barcalo Mfg. did was introduce mechanics that allowed one sitting on the chair to move the back and a calf rest without getting up. The seat remained flat, as at Larkin. FLW designed the Larkin seats, which were manufactured by Barcalo.

We had a piano stool exactly like the one pictured. Adjustable seat.
peterm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You both are correct.

The chair evolved from the original William Morris design:

http://artsandcraftshomes.com/evolution-of-the-morris-chair/
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Human bodies are of different sizes and shapes and move in different ways; more to the point, individuals have no doubt widely varying ideas about what constitutes comfort. But the laws of physics don't vary, and no matter how little the force of gravity may have affected Wright's design decisions, the human torso will always slide and slump (when permitted) to the lowest point possible -- hopefully stopping somewhere above the floor ! A chair which prevents that slide can be expected to be more comfortable that one which doesn't -- as I see it.

Wright himself sat for countless hours at a drafting table or board over the course of his life; I think he was referring to relaxed or conversational repose, not task-oriented sitting, in his remarks quoted above. Perhaps he correctly separated, in his thoughts, these two uses, and thus kinds, of chairs.

SDR
JJM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larkin and Pauson have both risen like a phoenix to grace my wall. I am very pleased with the two images I purchased from David for my wall, and to support this amazing work. I can attest the quality and frame worthiness of the paper prints. Not an ad, just admiration. Keep it up David! https://hookedonthepast.smugmug.com
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, JJM; it's good to hear that David's print versions are the equal of the delightful images posted here and elsewhere. Quite the latter-day Frank Lloyd Wright miracle, isn't it ?

SDR
David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you JJM and SDR! I am sorry to have not read these comments until now, you are very kind.
David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated all the images corresponding to the interior of the Larkin, replacing the skylight with translucent glass.

Thanks to Roderick Grant and Reidy for making me see the difference with the original design

DavidC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this thread forward in time, adding some tags and, the most recent video: Larkin Administration Building Buffalo Romero

Larkin Co. Building - [1:35]

David
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, David. Looks like I didn't go quite far enough in my search. (Do you have a secret for locating these threads ? I keep forgetting to look for them via a Google search.) It's surprising that it was more than a year ago that we last heard from "the other David" . . .

SDR
David

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! It is a pity that the author has not read this thread before, because he has made the same mistakes that I made (the stone is gray, the skylight is not translucent, etc.). Fortunately at least, he has not wasted his time modeling the pipe organ as I did.

I will send an email to Mario, apparently he lives in the same city as me.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that is an interesting coincidence: two modelers in the same place putting in the countless hours on the same object. One doesn't know whether to laugh or to cry . . .

How has your year gone, David ? Are you working on a different project now ?

SDR
David

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few months of rest I'm modeling again, I'm helping Chad (Meisolus in the chat) with the Spaulding Print Room and I want to finish my model for Ocatillo. Some companies have contacted me interested in my project and soon I will be able to show you more things related to Wright in virtual reality, I also have an almost finished recreation of pre-Columbian architecture that I believe that curious people like you will also like it (even if it is not Wright!)
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, pre-Columbian will do . . . when there's nothing newer !

Cool

Bring it on . . .

S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: