Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Larkin Administration Building visuals
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Larkin Administration Building visuals Reply with quote

Ladies and gentlemen:

I am pleased to introduce you a visual reconstruction of the Larkin Administration Building by Frank Lloyd Wright.
David

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The set of images is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143771393@N04/sets/72157673116725982

And the explanation of the project here:

http://www.hookedonthepast.com/

Comments or improvement proposals are more than welcome.
JimM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't get much better than this.... beautiful. Even though not an animation, it would be icing on the cake to see water flowing from the fountain at the entrance.
pmahoney

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Larkin images Reply with quote

These are the best images I have seen. One refinement would be to the exterior stone trim. The color of that stone is a pale red. It still exists on the piers that flank the remaining site, https://www.buffalorising.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/IMG_7675.jpg On the Seneca Street side the base / trim was entirely stone (front), on the Swan Street side (rear) part of the lower part of the base is tinted concrete.
A second refinement would be to the scale. If you look closely at the fence pier you can see that it is considerably smaller than what was designed and built. The fence duplicated the fenestration pattern on the first floor as well as aligned with it. The series of twelve foot openings and four foot wide piers formed the colonnade that edged the site.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive. The color of the stone is a most important element, as mentioned by Pat; so is the correct scale of fence elements.

The use of constricted depth-of-field in one image is a bit overdone; this interesting gimmick is often used to suggest that the viewer is looking at a physical model. This one is good enough to be regarded as reality -- skipping the "model" phase completely ?

A late-'twenties touring car is a nice addition, suggesting the scale if not the period. The dropped bumpers do suggest a lower profile to the body -- but it's not an historically correct detail, if that's important to the maker.

SDR
JChoate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done.
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.
Never knew before now that the interior brick was a different color.
Always thought it was same inside and out.
Makes a world of difference.
Great work here.
thank you
David

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAT: that's a good point!, photos from that pier are usually so poor that the color of the stone is not obvious.

SDR: About the scale of the fence, you are right! According to this drawing:

http://www.ad.ntust.edu.tw/grad/think/93modernwork/modern%20arch/4/B9113007/Larkin%20Building/My%20Webs/images/18.jpg

"my" fence is about 50cm too short:

Thank you very much for all your comments, as a result the project will be more close to the original.

Last edited by David on Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
pmahoney

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Larkin Building Excavation Reply with quote

We excavated a section of the front stair tower (8' x20' x 9' deep) this past December and have recovered over three hundred bricks from the interior (Chestnut Ridge White Brick). We also found that the ground floor walls are intact five inches below the pavement there today, although the cream colored mortar is soft from years below grade.

Pat Mahoney
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Centimeters"? Beware, David, FLW was American. The English system of measurement was a very important part of his work. A 3-foot square grid and a 1-meter square grid are two different things. Translating into metric could cause error.
JimM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat...This is nothing new to you, but Quinan's book and the many photos available show the "basement" above grade accessed by the arched opening.

Are you referencing this as the "ground" floor level, with the top of the walls 5 inches below the pavement? Am I not seeing something, or would that mean there has been significant fill around the building since the demolition?

David...may not make a difference in this type of model (and Pat could confirm), but the interior bricks supposedly were glazed.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, it was Pat who discovered scale issues with the fence.

I wonder if, with this kind of modeling software, it is possible to edit portions of the textures once they have been chosen and applied. I ask because, while the interior and exterior brickwork is extremely impressive in this model, places where brick planes meet at a corner are sometimes marred by having vertical joints appear only an inch or two away from the arris, leaving the impression of face brick.

Maybe such modifications require Photoshop work ?

I'm surprised and pleased to hear of site research being conducted today. Keep up the good work !

SDR
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Larkin Building Excavation Reply with quote

pmahoney wrote:
We excavated a section of the front stair tower (8' x20' x 9' deep) this past December and have recovered over three hundred bricks from the interior (Chestnut Ridge White Brick).

Pat:

It's great that you were able to do some excavation/exploration at the Larkin site. Who owns the property these days? Did they give permission to remove any items from the site? If so, where will you store/show any recovered pieces? Any future 'digs' in the plans?

David:

Thanks for making and sharing your wonderful model. It's a revelation to "see" so much of what the Larkin Building must have been in it's heyday!

David
JChoate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,
I'm slow on the uptake. I assumed you were just forwarding a link -- I didn't realize that it was you who actually created these images. They are so masterfully done. Congratulations.

Any chance that Midway Gardens might be on your To Do list? That would be an amazing companion to your Larkin opus.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David and David C -- we'll have to listen for the difference in voice, to tell them apart ?

Keep up the good work. That sculpture must have taken a while . . . ! I hope it will be relatively easy to change the color of the stone ? I can't wait to see that. We've had only black-and-white images of the building, all these years until now.

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: