Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Weisblat House For sale The Acres Kalamazoo, Michigan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishigan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wesiblat house is a great house and in top shape worth every penny. Mrs. Weisblat was a wonderful person that I have the utmost respect for. I worked for her for a few years on a personal level. The home has a great living room and the wine cellar is also nice to have.

Last edited by fishigan on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
pharding

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a FLW homeowner, I wish that negativity and silly rumors about FLW properties for sale would not be posted here. This especially galling for this property which has been so well maintained over the years. Plus the owners were exceedingly generous with opening the house for FLW Building Conservancy tours.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ― Edmund Burke.

Misstatements of fact ought to be challenged -- as we find it necessary to do with alarming regularity at "Sure, we can call anything Frank Lloyd Wright." If doing so leads to the embarrassment of individuals, that is the price of prevarication -- wouldn't you say ?

Or are we here just to pat each other on the back . . .

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sale of Wright properties is and should be a major concern of those who contribute to this site. People ask questions, share opinions and what they assume to be accurate information. It's great that we are in a position here to question, research, and substantiate claims made in posts or sales descriptions.

When a property of this importance comes on the market, it's a perfect opportunity to revisit and study the plans, correspondences, photos, try to outline a history of the property, find out what was not built according to the drawings, what has been changed over the years, the condition of the property and quality of maintenance and restoration. Isn't it to be expected that along the way there will be some conflicting views and information?

I doubt that few here are deliberately spreading rumors. Critical analysis is often mistakenly considered to be negativity. Could we be possibly more careful? Always...

And as a fellow Wright homeowner, I have certainly felt the sting of criticism and rumor, justified and unjustified. But for the most part, I have found people who contribute to this site to be enormously helpful and supportive. To be able to ask a question and quickly receive such expert and thoughtful advice has been invaluable. I can overlook any lapses in etiquette or judgement, and hopefully others will forgive mine!

Last edited by peterm on Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
SREcklund

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ― Edmund Burke.

As a general rule - and I certainly do not count myself among them - this forum has active posters with an extremely high level of knowledge and personal experience with regards to Wright homes and those of similarly-minded architects. That level of authoritativeness creates a sense of both opportunity and obligation when it comes to defending the truth. And from what I've seen, there is little hesitation to step forward with the necessary facts, no matter the consternation it might cause for those who have deviated, deliberately or otherwise, from the truth ...

Last edited by SREcklund on Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In part to mollify those who may not whole-heartedly embrace the eloquently stated opinions posted immediately above, I will take this opportunity to acknowledge my own "diplomacy deficit," and to apologize to those who have felt the rough edge of my tongue or who may yet do so. I am well aware of my shortcomings in this area . . .

It is probably true that those with "nothing to lose" will be the loosest cannons in any group. It is also true that those who have made the investment in Wright are deserving of great respect, if not of abject deference ?

SDR
JChoate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, keep doing what you do. You're a font of knowledge, and the best kind -- one born of curiosity. It is greatly appreciated, and so is your enthusiasm. I've learned more from your keen observations, and those of others, than I would've thought possible on this type of forum.
Truth has a way of prevailing as long as there is a free exchange of facts & ideas, tempered with civility and mutual respect.
That which ain't broke don't need fixin'.
DavidC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Frank Lloyd Wright original is 'a home as well as a work of art'

David
DRN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this David...a great and comprehensive set of pics to boot.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo 10, looks like the Pratt House has had its exterior refinished. As I recall, it was that pasty shade of tan that's so unattractive. It looks much better now.

#23, close-up of Weisblat perf blocks, is especially interesting.

#52, where the house goes off the grid: Notice the ceiling design. That would be the juncture of the 1960 addition by Howe.

#54, the new family room, Howe working full tilt.

#66, mowing plans? Anyone ever see such a thing?
DavidC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Frank Lloyd Wright house in Michigan is for sale for the first time

David
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great Wright house...

It's somewhat disconcerting to see green moss growing on interior walls!
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice the discoloration on the wood walls (photos 8, 10) where pictures obviously hung, probably for decades. The interior surfaces need fixing. But that seems to be the only visible problem.
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold for $1,000.00 over asking price, with a preservation easement in place:

https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/7/19/15993818/frank-lloyd-wright-home-galesburg-sold
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1000 over the asking price ? What's that -- a gratuity ?

Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: