Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Weisblat House For sale The Acres Kalamazoo, Michigan
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Weisblat House For sale The Acres Kalamazoo, Michigan Reply with quote

http://matrix.realcomponline.com/matrix/shared/bfRlslBdYqFd/11185HAWTHORNE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mishpo/3990403489/

http://www.savewright.org/index.php?page=33&id=173
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like little if anything (other than Howe's addition) has been done to this house. I hope the hefty price doesn't leave this gem on the market too long.

Photo 59: Interesting speaker(?) detail, cutting the corner short.
Photo 61: There are toilets that fit into the corner that would allow a more comfortable 'sit' than trying to avoid knee injury.
fishigan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retracted

Last edited by fishigan on Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
DRN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(inaccurate or errant quote from another post removed.)

Good to know, particularly for a buyer planning their budget, as historic preservation easements often require an annual maintenance/verification fee paid to the easement holder. However, unless the maintenance fee is exorbitant, or the terms preclude modern restoration methods or materials that within reason solve/correct chronic issues, the easement shouldn't be a deterrent to a preservation minded buyer.

Last edited by DRN on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
bkirksey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishigan wrote:
The home needs a over 100K in repairs. It was under contract for far less than the list price and there are errors in the listing information. They are also failing to mention that there is Preservation Easement attached to the home and that deserves serious consideration by anyone interested in the home.

Thanks for everyone's interest in the property, its truly an exceptional house! I'm the listing agent on the home and I would be happy to answer any questions about the property that anyone might have. However I am concerned about the bad information that exists on this thread, and I hope to take a moment to address those.

1) The home does not need $100k in repairs, it previously had needed those, but is currently having a new roof installed and several other little repairs. So while I agree the home did need some updates, it is factually incorrect to state that.
2) The home was never "under contract" for an amount less than the current list price. The current sellers had discussions (serious discussions) with a buyer, and while price was discussed there was never anything recorded via a contract. The price that was discussed was based on not having to hire Realtors, a quick sale, and a function of the repairs that were previously needed.
3) The home is not encumbered with a historic preservation easement, either facade or interior. The sellers would desire for the next owner to place one, and a draft of an easement was drafted and exists, but it was never signed or recorded.

I hope that clears up some of the misinformation on this thread, I also hope that it was not spread with intent to deceive given the statements here were the exact opposite of a conversation we've had in the past regarding the property.
peterm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for clearing that up, bkirksey, and welcome to Wright Chat. The house looks like a great one. Please keep us updated as to the progress...

Best of luck with the sale!
bkirksey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterm wrote:
Thank you for clearing that up, bkirksey, and welcome to Wright Chat. The house looks like a great one. Please keep us updated as to the progress...

Best of luck with the sale!

Thank you the kind words. The Detroit Free Press is running an article and photo spread on the property in tomorrow's edition under the Michigan Home Envy section. When I have a link I will post it here.

Also we will be featured in MLive in the next week or so. Our open house is scheduled for 09/11/2016 from 1-4.
pharding

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in the several years ago.It is a fine house in excellent condition and a bargain at that price. The preservation is not a big and there are no annual fees for it typically.
bkirksey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to the Detroit Free Press article on the home
Check out this article from Detroit Free Press:

Frank Lloyd Wright home for sale near Kalamazoo

http://on.freep.com/2cgm8Vv
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The house appears to be in fine shape. Like Eppstein it features a circular exterior garden wall ?

The matching storage shed is a plus. The next owner will likely replace the unflattering printed fabric to the built-in seating.

SDR
peterm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have often wondered whether the curved garden walls found at The Acres might reference his overall site planning with the private circular lots and public wilderness in between.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful house. Is there a way to get rid of the efflorescence that is widespread throughout the house?
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muriatic acid, is what they said at school. I wonder if that has changed . . .

SDR
JimM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the fireplace hood (33&34) has needed a little help. Surely connecting rods between the blocks were not the only support!
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Let's see -- these are face blocks, c. 3" deep ? I would have expected the bottom course of block to be cemented to a steel structure supported from the roof, or, diagonally, from the upper reaches of the masonry core. The triangular gusset is odd; it isn't deep enough to support the outer-most course or even a frame holding same -- is it ?

Photos 44 and 48 show interior window screens. 44 appears to show identical hinges on both sides of a single screen frame. Mysterious . . .

The angled speaker might have been specified in the days when audio experts dictated every detail of speaker placement, to extract the very utmost in sound quality, as for instance from a specific seat, or to "balance" the acoustics of the space. Now, of course, we've arrived here: http://www.designboom.com/technology/werteloberfell-basslet-09-05-2016/

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: