Gunning covered walkway

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Mod mom

Gunning covered walkway

Post by Mod mom »

Today we removed the props attached to our re-designed covered walkway. The original walkway was NOT designed by any of the original 3 architects (Tony Smith, Laurence Cuneo or Ted van Fossen) but instead by Noverre Musson in 1948-49 when the original carport was converted to 2 tiny bedrooms, bathroom and a washer/dryer area. During the '48/'49 addition, a studio with a 2 bay carport was added with the original walkway which lead to the main house.

When we took ownership of the property, the structure of the studio with the attached carport was so dilapidated that we could not get insurance until the structure was removed. Carpenter ants and termites had done so much damage that when the overhead beams were removed, the stucco walls literally could be kicked down.

Since the design was done by a 4th architect and not by the original 3, Joe re-designed the walkway and the studio facade to resemble the original carport (cypress board and batten siding with clerestory windows for lighting.) We saved the only part of the original, 2 stucco piers, that were not dangerous. Once we move in the walkway will be lined with our collection of Soleri Bells and a Soleri mobile sculpture that will hang on the side that faces the Zen Garden.

View from the driveway, studio on the left: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081 ... 444413635/

View from the side with board and batten (new) cypress on the studio: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081 ... 444413635/

View of the studio on the left and walkway from near the pond. The '64 tower by Ted van Fossen in the center background: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081 ... 444413635/

View of the Walkway from near the water feature: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081 ... 444413635/

View of the walkway from near the entrance of the tower: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081 ... 444413635/

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Mod mom. Your photos two and three seem to be the same image. How nice to see this further progress. I don't know if you anticipated all this work when you took on the house; I certainly didn't. Yet it was clear there was a lot to be done to save this wonderful compound !

SDR

Mod mom

Post by Mod mom »

Thanks SDR. Sorry about the error in the link. Here is the corrected

View of the studio on the left and walkway from near the pond. The '64 tower by Ted van Fossen in the center background:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081 ... 444413635/

It is probably good that I was a lay person! I had no idea what I was getting into! That said...what a journey! I can't say we haven't been frustrated at times, but we've made so many wonderful memories with our family. I believe you never really appreciate something unless you've worked for it, and we've definitely worked for this gem!

Joe on the other hand, has totally loved the process. We both swear that this will be our final home, but WHAT A HOME! The site is unbelievable this time of year. My daughter will be entering architecture school next fall, while her brother will be starting his 3rd year (different architecture schools). Living through our progress has been a rewarding experience for them!

SDR

Post by SDR »

Among many other pleasures, the house and its setting will make a terrific subject for evocative seasonal photography; an accumulation of your best photos of the completed project, taken over the course of the first year or two, would make a handsome portfolio and even a publication . . . ?

SDR

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Mod mom wrote:My daughter will be entering architecture school next fall, while her brother will be starting his 3rd year (different architecture schools). Living through our progress has been a rewarding experience for them!
"Learning by doing" sounds like a sound concept. Unfortunately not one embraced by today's schools of architecture.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

Mod mom

Post by Mod mom »

Paul, My son has been working hands on during summer and breaks. Here he is with a friend who is an industrial design major, working on the walkway:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081 ... 444413635/

My daughter has been busy finishing up her senior year piling on all the extra curricular activities that are now expected to get into a decent college. She came out a couple weeks ago saying she wanted to help but her idea of helping was designing a landscape plan for the grounds...not exactly what we had in mind. ;)

I have chronicled our progress with the flickr account to share with a number of interested people. It helps to see where we were on certain dates because when you are living construction real time, sometimes the progress seems slow. Perhaps I will take up your suggestion in the future, SDR. As for now, I'm focusing on transplanting after construction damage and will soon attempt to get the invasive honeysuckle under control. It took me 2 summers to control the poison ivy and thanks to the abundance of birds, will need to continue to monitor it's re-emergence. I hope some of you can visit because the photos do not to it justice!

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Mod mom. I certainly wouldn't advise "art photography" until everything is done and the house and landscape look as intended.

SDR

dtc

Post by dtc »

Years ago Mike and Palli, Holubar and I visited the home and grounds before you purchased it. We were in total agreement that the house was unique and also it was going to take a total commitment on the new owners part to bring it around.
You and your family should be proud of what you accomplished to date.
I suspect you will be tackling the studio in due time.
Keep up the fine work.
I look forward to meeting you and your family and seeing the house and grounds in the near future.
dtc

Mod mom

Post by Mod mom »

dtc, I believe by the studio, you are referring to the tower and that is definitely phase 2, after we move in. When we took ownership, we had the tower mold remediated and temporarily patched the roof so right now, all the moldy dry wall is gone and major leaks have been stopped but our focus is in finishing the main house so we can move in. The studio refers to the room attached to the carport. Originally there were 3 tiny rooms, all insect deteriorated (see photos at my flickr if you are interested in the extent), that have been converted into one space and will serve as my husband's wood working studio. (A small price to pay to make sure no tools will ever again reside in my house!)

Next time you are down in Columbus, PM me and we will make every effort to accommodate a tour!

Tom

Post by Tom »

Can't remember exactly but I thought on some recent thread ModMom was inquiring about brass hardware:
www.phelpscompany.com

SDR

Post by SDR »

Wow -- sash chain. I haven't seen that in a while. Having re-hung four or five "guillotine windows" in the past few years I can appreciate the benefits of a rope-free installation . . . !

SDR

Mod mom

Post by Mod mom »

Thank you Tom for your suggestion. I believe the thread you saw was on the Sweeten Restoration. DRN posted detail photos of clerestory windows and SDR found I site for the awning mechanism. In case you are referring to hardware for the french doors, it is already installed with oil rubbed brass fittings that look almost identical to the original (there was only 1 remaining and since we wanted them all to match, all were replaced) Very happy with the oil rubbed brass.My husband has called several times but has not connected with the company yet but we are working on it.

Here is a photo of the oil rubbed brass: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081 ... 444413635/