Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

radiant heat piping repair
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mod mom

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe said they are cast iron floor registers and when you remove the panel it says Burnham. This is what is looks like with the panel removed:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125471081@N02/34426453241/in/dateposted-public/

(Im posting this because although Joe said cast iron it appears as copper to me)
DRN

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feeds and returns on yours are copper, but the black portion is cast iron, which gets hot and radiates.

Weil-McLain makes a similar model....
http://www.weil-mclain.com/products/snug-baseboard

The Europeans make some very pricey units:
http://www.runtalnorthamerica.com/residential_radiators/baseboard_uf.html

I'll check the drawings to see what Wright spec'd for the workshop..it may be an upright radiator though. I'd opt for the baseboard for its thin profile, probably leaning toward something looking like a ca.1950 unit. The Weil McLain product seems to do that.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how far back baseboard heating goes in this country. It's almost a given that Europe was ahead of us, there -- but it would be interesting to know that, too . . .

Wright's drawings are full of radiators, for the first half of his career, at least. Willey probably has them; he got rid of them for good with "gravity heat," at least in theory.

SDR
Mod mom

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Joe has talked about designing a housing to cover our visible units but Im insisting any cover MUST not effect function.

Our insulation around the periphery must be good because despite being warm and toast inside we never experienced any of the exterior melting talked about up thread.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, SDR, Willey has old-fashioned radiators.

I dislike baseboard heating. The baseboard, properly done, can be a significant design element, which the BB heating destroys.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think any functional object in an interior, if well designed, ought to be displayed undisguised. Mr Wright's principal objection to the radiator might have been limited to its resolute verticality ?

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have mentioned this before, but FLW turned a drawing of a radiator on end and wrote under it "Project for a skyscraper."
DRN

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the Sweeton Plumbing and Heating sheet, and was able (with eyeglasses and a magnifying glass) to read the originally spec'd radiator for the workshop: "Sterling-fin type 2", 6'-0" L, 3 units high".

If "3 units high" refers to concrete block courses, that would be 24" tall, or 24" above the floor. Sterling was founded in 1946 and exists today. The company stated the appearance of their Versa Line is virtually unchanged from the product they offered in the 1950's:

http://www.sterlingheat.com/versa-line

Wright was definitely going utilitarian in the workshop.
I'm going to stick with the cast iron baseboard as that is functionally the best choice for the operating temperature of our boiler water...it also has a lower profile to boot.
JChoate

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radiator close to home

(Thomas Heinz photo)
Tom

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(If I remember correctly the building at the man's right elbow in the mural
bears striking resemblance to Unity Temple.)
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan presents further progress at Sweeton.

1. The supply and riser pipes to the lower level are cut.

2. The remove riser pipes: the leak holes of supply pipe on the left are visible; the rusted though not yet leaking return pipe is on the right.

3. The return riser pipe on the left; the supply riser pipe on the right. The supply was rusted so thin it was just broken loose to remove it, hence the
ragged edge. It is notable to see how thick these schedule 80 pipes are and how much they can rust down when exposed to repeated wetting. The inner
surface of the pipes where not breached has no corrosion...damage came from outside in. Where pipes were set in crushed stone at the upper and
lower levels, the corrosion ranged from non existent to moderate...where set in raw soil (clay-sand called "marl" locally) the corrosion was most severe.

4. With the risers cut, a temporary flex connector was set to allow the water to be turned on to confirm no other unknown riser pipes exist feeding the
lower level. With water turned on, no water bled from the lower level...this meant we have the only two risers accounted for. Pressure held and no
further water was being added by the auto feed valve. The leak is isolated.

Next, we need to get a pipe welder to come to our little house for this "tiny" job. This may take a while...experienced pipe welders are in high demand on
larger and more profitable jobs than this.

5. In the mean time, we have started demolition of the ceilings in this and the second bedroom, and are beginning to fit 4" of foil faced polyiso rigid
insulation board.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick Grant wrote:
I may have mentioned this before, but FLW turned a drawing of a radiator on end and wrote under it "Project for a skyscraper."

RG - WOW. Is there any record of this? Is there more to the story?
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I think it's in one of Edgar Tafel's books. But it's not a difficult transformation: both consist of parallel lines, one vertical, the other horizontal.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No metallurgist I, but is there any metal more impervious to rust than lead? Perhaps steel, iron or copper pipes coated on the exterior with lead would be an ideal for gravity heating systems?
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting idea. Lead coated copper exists for roofs. Lead coated copper and steel pipes...sweating the copper would be much the same; steel pipe welded joints could be coated with lead at the site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: